Author Topic: First swiss  (Read 1608 times)

curiouser_alice

First swiss
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:49:29 PM »
Going to start my first swiss tomorrow.  The recipe I have calls for waxing, and I have wax.  The brush I was planning on using is silicone.  I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem, but does anybody have experience using a silicone brush?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: First swiss
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:26 PM »
I always dip when I wax.  Tried brushing once, not a good result.  BTW  Make sure that cheese is done "gassing" before you wax it.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

curiouser_alice

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »
Well, we shall see.  I have two pots, side by side, and one has a clean break and the other does not.  I'm combining them into one cheese, so I added a tiny bit more rennet to pot #2 and am waiting.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »
more or less success; I got the two pots kind of matching and then mixed everything together before putting it in the mold.  Pressing overnight.

cbenner33

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
If it were me I would simply dip the cheese. I think you would get a more consistent coverage and less messy.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:41:33 AM »
Will try to dip.  I think I can fit it into a double boiler top to melt, and if I plan accurately, will be able to dip.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
My recipe calls for aging at 50 degrees for the first while.  I'm thinking this won't make any difference to the other cheeses I have in there - an alpine style tomme and a gruyere - and the lower temperature is important to the swiss.
Do others adjust this way? I have only one cheese fridge for aging.

curiouser_alice

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
I had a small wax split, which I waxed over this morning.  Is this a weak spot, and when I increase the temperature and it starts to swell, will it break again?
How do people address this?

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »
I have not waxed a cheese of this type but I suspect that the wax will split once you start the warm phase, especially if it was splitting before that.
Another problem that I have encountered is with whey oozing from the cheese and collecting under the wax. For this reason I leave my cheeses until they are 3-4 weeks old before I wax.
You might want to consider removing the wax and re-waxing after the warm phase.
- Andrew

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:17:07 PM »
In my limited experience with Swiss style cheese I'm not sure yet am thinking, if you are about to start a warming faze and this has already been waxed, you will most certainly have cracks in your wax as the warming is more than likely going to make it swell.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

curiouser_alice

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 04:41:47 AM »
Thanks!  I will certainly consider removing and re-waxing.  We'll see how it goes.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »
Your cheese should expand like a ball during the warming phase.  You should have taken my original advice.
Make sure that cheese is done "gassing" before you wax it.]
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

curiouser_alice

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »
Agreed, but I waxed because I'm trying to get a moister cheese...I can remove the wax and do over after the warm phase. 

curiouser_alice

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 12:57:29 AM »
Well, I made it through the warming phase and my cheese did NOT swell.  Should I wait awhile longer to see if it does, or just say it's done and put it back in at a lower temp?
It looks good, but the wax did crack.  If I take it out of the warm location, I will re-wax.  Just not sure I've gotten any holes.