Author Topic: Blue Cheese - need some love  (Read 1251 times)

SqTail

Blue Cheese - need some love
« on: January 31, 2018, 07:29:19 PM »
Hi,
I just made my 1st blue cheese and need some advices from people knowing what they are doing more than i do. (my basement got stable 14-15c - i know a bit high for this type of cheese but i guess it should be at least eatable) First thing first i made a few cheeses: parmesan, riccota salata, gouda, (petti blue - but i guess it will end as sth. close to camembert or brie since blue mold didnt appear) and blue cheese. All of them made with Gavin Webber recipies - parmesan was a bit modified but its still almost the same recipie. All my cheeses got 2.5-3kg exept (weird petti-blue that is more camembert like cheese got 250g) So i got a lot of cheeses in 1 place (well not exacly in 1 coz basment got 2 rooms but its not hermetic) Ok so go to the point my cheese picture after first week:

I guess at this point it was everything fine but after 3 weeks (so its today) Im concerned that this white mould is sth. not good:

It  flows out a bit close to mould at this point so rippening out the mould seems not best idea right now. Here is picture:

Im asking for help from someone, pls. Im from Poland so im sorry about my English im working on it. I did use penicilium Roqueforti and termophilic culture from shop aviable in here.  Is everything okey with this cheese? Should i do sth like ripping mould off? open the cheese? or leave it as it is coz its fine? or maybe i should not eat it.

PS. I did try some of creamy side with blue mould on it. It taste like a bit too bitter for me but for sure i did feel blue cheese like taste. It smells a bit diffrent than blue cheeses from shop. Pls can someone say me if im going to be all right? i mean if my cheese is going to be all right and if what should i do with him? ;p

Okey, so after a 3 days looking for help i decide to cut in to this cheese coz it was starting to sink more... and inside it looks good i think, taste good as well. Maybe a bit too curdy?and bitter?  I think i will wrap it into foil and storage into fridge for next 2-4weeks (depend on situation) So i guess the problem with this one was:

1. It should stay 1-2 days more in room temperature.
2. It should also be pressed a bit more.
3. I definitly should rippen off the mould after 1 week.

Here are pictures:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:01:59 AM by SqTail »

CarlB

Re: Blue Cheese - need some love
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 01:50:19 PM »
Looks to have developed "slip skin".  From what I've gathered, and experienced, too much time at 50-55 degree F.  The search function will help you.  Good luck

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:08:42 PM »
This cheese should be perfectly fine to eat , if you find the rind too strong go ahead and remove it just before it is consumed .  Leave the rind on any parts that are  not to be eaten right away.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:30 PM »
1. It should stay 1-2 days more in room temperature.
2. It should also be pressed a bit more.
Sorry, I missed seeing this initially.

I don't understand why you'd let this remain at room temp as in #1. That may have fostered the slipskin development. The blue cheese typically is developed at cave temperatures. Then, once the blue has started to come on, I like to pat it down or rub it on the rind to keep the rind under control. At some point, the cheese will be pierced and allowed to further develop with daily exposure outside the cave. When it reaches a certain point in its development, I like to wrap the blue in cheese paper or foil and store in the colder refrigerator to slowly age the cheese.

In #2 what psi did you press with and for how long? Most blues don't get pressed. I believe Fourme d'Amberg is one style that does get pressed, but this isn't that, correct?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.