Author Topic: Cheese #2 - Colby  (Read 640 times)

blucrsr

Cheese #2 - Colby
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:30:16 PM »
My first cheese was a Feta that turned out OK, but I didn't really care for the taste.  For my second cheese I decided to make some Colby.  This was made using the culture, rennet, equipment that I got in my Mad Millie kit.  I used the included booklet for the recipe, but referenced the cheesemaking.com directions.  This is a 1.5 gallon batch made with the cheap store brand pasteurized milk (I used whole milk for this recipe).

The sous vide setup did a great job of holding the required temperature and slowly ramping it up when needed.

Here is the cheese press I used.  This seemed to do a good job and I didn't think it required to much "attention".

I don't think this is a picture of the cheese after final pressing, but it's the only one I took.

I let the cheese dry in a 60 degree room for a few days.  Here we are all waxed up and ready to age.  I have an area of my basement that stays around 50-52 degrees until summer rolls around.  I think I'll age this for 2 months so the temp should still be good.  A wet paper towel in the container gets the humidity to 85%.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Cheese #2 - Colby
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:36:47 PM »
It looks great, I'm thinkin it's gonna be gooooud!
AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/