Author Topic: Rainy day recipe - what will it be?  (Read 1464 times)

Gene Daniels

Rainy day recipe - what will it be?
« on: February 14, 2018, 04:10:59 PM »
I have the day off, but it is cold and rainy. So I decided to make some cheese with the "this and that's" in the fridge. Here is what I have put together:

1/2 gal+ whole milk
1 qt cultured buttermilk
1 pt+ half/half cream
1/2 cup yoghurt
1/2 cup of frozen culture from red-rind stinky cheese
renent

I am treating it kind of like a Reblochon. I will heat to 95F, then go for about 60 min on curd set, then will stir on and off for 30 min or so. After that into the mold. Maybe a very light press with a couple lbs for the afternoon.

I plan to wash it with some homemade apple cider that I have already spiked with B. Linens (using on another stinky right now).

So, what do you think this will be? With that much buttermilk and cream harm anything? Although I have already started, I still welcome any suggestions or criticisms. It might be a waste, but its a good way to waste time on a rotten day, and I figure it will be at least eatable, maybe really good.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 04:17:54 PM by Gene Daniels »

Gene Daniels

Re: Rainy day recipe - what will it be?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:29:12 AM »
Well... it was a curd fail. They formed, kind of. But never enough for a clean break. I waited over 3 hours. In the end I scooped out what was semi-solid and put it cloth lined molds to see what will happen. I've done that before and it make an OK cheese. Certainly not what I was hoping for, but edible.

I am thinking I will still wash it with cider. Do you think there is any point, or am I just wasting my time?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »
Sorry no one has responded to you. By now you most likely have followed some path to eat this experiment or develop it. :-\

I think with that small volume of milk I would have made buttermilk muffins or pancakes, drunk the milk, and given the cat some cream. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Gene Daniels

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:20:18 PM »
Thanks Boofer, I guess no one else has had this kind of mess.

I mixed in a Middle Eastern spice I like and have them in a humidity controlled environment. Believe it or not, they are already starting to develop a reddish hue, just a little, so the B. Linens is doing it's job. I plan to wash them with cider this morning.

I had a failed curd some time back that I washed with cider for several weeks. The B. Linens never took hold, but it still ended up edible. I figure if that is the worst outcome, its OK.

briemeupscotty

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:32:34 AM »
Curious how this turned out! Did you end up aging it?

Gene Daniels

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:54:50 PM »
Quick update on this cheese. I made two small rounds, 6-8 oz each. The first one I cut at about 6 weeks. It was good and creamy. Pungent odor, but taste was quite mild. The second one is still in the fridge, it is about 10 weeks old now. I plan to eat it when I return home this weekend. I am hoping it is stronger tasting than the first one, but even if not, it will be worth the effort.