Author Topic: First Havarti  (Read 1089 times)

panamamike

First Havarti
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:44:43 AM »
Made first cheeses 3 wks ago other than Queso Blanco ( wife is panamanian and can't forget her ). Two Havarti. Used 17lt of milk FD and Boyes recipe. I had prepared one 4-5Lb mould for the cheese but could not fit the curds into the mold so used two moulds. Now I have two HavarBries. Waxed with cream wax and are in the cheese cave.
Will open one in 5 more weeks.

panamamike

Re: First Havarti
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:24:52 AM »
Pulled the Havarti out to flip them and they are growing blue molds. I had wrapped them in plastic wrap to hold moisture in.
Took the plastic off wiped and back into the cave. Maybe to much moisture. Just coated with cream wax after drying at the first of the make.
Hope they don't dry out B/4 they are finished.

panamamike

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:47:24 PM »
OK, pulled one of the Havartis out of the cave today to see how they were coming along. It felt like it was to dry so cut it and give it a taste.
OH MY! It is soft, creamy and so good. Will leave the other one and half of the one i cut in the cave for three more weeks.
It can only get better, right?

cbenner33

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »
OK, pulled one of the Havartis out of the cave today to see how they were coming along. It felt like it was to dry so cut it and give it a taste.
OH MY! It is soft, creamy and so good. Will leave the other one and half of the one i cut in the cave for three more weeks.
It can only get better, right?

I want pics!

panamamike

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 05:03:00 PM »
Would love to have posted pics, no1-my cell phone does not have a camera, 2-I am not familiar with my wife phone ( which has a cam and is in spanish ) 3- I dont know how to transfer pics from phone to mac. ( new )
Lots of excuses for someone who was a computer programer in the late 70s . Now old and can't remember anything! Hope I get it figured out soon so I can post.