Author Topic: Gouda ageing nicely, crystals forming after 1 year in the bag!  (Read 932 times)

5ittingduck

Gouda ageing nicely, crystals forming after 1 year in the bag!
« on: February 18, 2018, 10:48:06 PM »
Apologies for the poor photo, I don't have a proper macro lens.
This is a raw cow's milk Gouda from January 2017.  The milk it was made from was frozen for a week, this was originally a test to find out if frozen Jersey milk affected the end result.
The frozen milk worked fine, no difference in curd set, and it's ageing perfectly.
Out of the bag this morning (for breakfast with the first of the season's apples, summer here in Tasmania :)  )
The cheese had a lovely shiny surface, and when cut had LOTS of white crystal development.  They are still small here, but more age will grow them bigger I am sure.  I will taste it's sister cheeses in 6 months and a year.  This tasted lovely and sliced beautifully.  I hope this year's larger goudas will be as nice next year.

timsumrall

Re: Gouda ageing nicely, crystals forming after 1 year in the bag!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
Looks good. Congrats! AC4U

Does bag = vacuum?

In Dec 2017 I made a 1600 gram wheel and vac'ed it. Hoping for similar results for the holidays.

5ittingduck

Re: Gouda ageing nicely, crystals forming after 1 year in the bag!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »
Yup.  I vacuum pack almost all my cheeses.
I make mainly Hard cheeses like Gouda, Manchego (actually Hispanico I have just found out), Romano, cheddar etc.