Author Topic: Seed sterilization  (Read 2008 times)

panamamike

Seed sterilization
« on: February 22, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »
I am on a quest to find a way to sterilize seeds for cheese. I don't want to dilute the flavor by boiling them. I was wondering how UV-C would work. If anyone has used this method or has any info about this process I would be grateful for your input.

Offline millenof6

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Re: Seed sterilization
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:43:06 PM »
As a horticulturist I would recommend either heating them to about 140F/ 60C.  That should kill most species of seed without the use of equipment.  You can always bake them but I think that would alter your flavors.  What seeds are you thinking of using? I can probably help identify which will need different sterilization methods.

panamamike

Re: Seed sterilization
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 11:42:30 PM »
The seeds and herbs I plan on using soon is dried peppers, cumin, dried onion, dried chives and again I will try dill. When I boiled the dill it left no distinguishing smell of dill. Smelled it after boiling, so willnot go that route again.
The reason I was wondering about UV-C, was that I had bought a new unit for my wife to sanitize SS small wares for the nail business she wanted to do but decided to not continue with her plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.