Author Topic: A New curd cutter - and a Cheddar  (Read 1446 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
A New curd cutter - and a Cheddar
« on: February 24, 2018, 04:42:40 AM »
Today is rainy and humid in South East Queensland and what a marvellous time to make a cheese.  But also, time to road test my new curd cutter.  I'll add the cheese make later but first I'd like to show off my new attempt to get a better, even curd cut.

and here it 'tis.  Made from an old Rotisserie rod and oven shelf - mind you this went through several iterations and frustrated failures.

I cut the disks from the top down the pot first and then the vertical cuts with a traditional curd knife.

Absolutely wonderful and produced an excellent and even cut.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

panamamike

Re: A New curd cutter - and a Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 04:43:15 PM »
Wow Mal, you are ingenious enough to overcome the limited source we have to cut curd with a small expense in materials.
Good thinking and AC4U.

RayJ

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
Awesome idea! Did the rotisserie rod come with the holes already in it or did you drill those?

BarryL

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
I have an old rotisserie rod, but it's chrome plated.  I know it's plated because part of the plating has worn off and brass (or copper) is showing underneath.  Brass coming in contact with whey/curds is probably not a good idea, even though it's a short time.  Thanks for the share!  I'll probably be making one of these cutters.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
NIce elegant design Mal and a belated C4U.  I've been off the forum for many months so I don't know if Andy is still around (AwakePHD) but he would like that!

Offline stephmtl222

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
Very nice system and great curd ! :)
I'm curious, how long does it take to make the vertical cuts ?
I made a very simple curd cutter for 2$. I bought a small cooling rack with the right spacing and fine wire then made a few cuts and some bendings and 5 minutes later, I had my curd cutter. I have tested it a few time and it works really well.
My only concern was the this cheap wires would rust after the first use but after 3 uses, no sign of rust yet! :)
Maybe this can inspire someone...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:28:58 PM by stephmtl222 »

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:01 PM »
My only concern was the this cheap wires would rust after the first use but after 3 uses, no sign of rust yet! :)
Maybe this can inspire someone...
Chrome plated racks will not rust when used for cutting curd if you wash them good right after the cut.  That said they will rust like the dickens if you use them for air drying or ripening.