Author Topic: Caprino Pictures @ Pienza, Tuscany, Italy Formaggio Store #2  (Read 6259 times)

Cheese Head

While recently on holiday in Italy, I took several pictures of cheeses in stores and at markets including these of Caprino's in store of small hilltop fortress town called Pienza, in Tuscany.

I've never heard of Caprino before, found the following minimal info on internet:
  • Wiki: Caprino is an Italian cheese traditionally made from whole or skim goat's milk. The name of the cheese derives from the Italian word for goat, capra. With modern methods of production the cheese is made from cow's milk as well or a combination of both cow's milk and goat's milk. The two major styles of caprino are fresco (fresh) and stagionato (seasoned).

Anyone know anymore please let me know.

Click on picture to get full size image, all the cheese pictures from Pienza stores posted on website.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:42:08 PM by John (CH) »

Cheese Head

Caprino Pictures @ Pienza, Tuscany, Italy Formaggio Store
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 02:39:11 PM »
Last Caprino picture . . .
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 03:04:48 PM by John (CH) »

wharris

Re: Caprino Pictures @ Pienza, Tuscany, Italy Formaggio Store #2
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:01:58 AM »
Beautiful pictures.  Very very beautiful.

I assume this is goats milk cheese. 
the pecorino stagionato nel fieno seems to go for $17.15/lb.  That is quite reasonable.

I would have dropped some coin there (too much) and sent some cheese home.

I envy you....

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:48:02 AM »
raw goat milk bloomed crust   goat with pepperoncini   goat with black pepper

goat in grave

goat seasoned in centre     goat seasoned

goat season in wine

I have a few regional Pecorino recipes but I have never tried this cheese or the recipes so I am not sure where you might place them. I will leave this to you.

Pecorino of the Marzano Mount
The pasture with its damage to the cheese of the sapori and appreciable typical smells variegate essences is in the fresh cheese that seasoned

Procedure:
The latte ones munto of the evening and the raw morning, leaked and miscelato, come heated place in the caccavo and till a temperature of 38-40 °C with fire to firewood.
 After to have heated for the coagulation rennet of kidskin or lamb (of business or acquired production joins on the market) in the measure of 30gr/ql of latte.
 The rennet before being inserted in the latte ones comes melted in lukewarm and filtered water.
After approximately 30 minuteren from the addition of the rennet it comes carried out the breach of I coagulate I use through it of the ruotolo with energetic movements till to reduce the paste in grains of the dimension of chicco of maize or rice.
 The left curd to rest under serum for some minute, pressa with the hands in order to favor the clearing of the serum. The rassodata curd comes manually extracted from the boiler and deposited in the fuscelle of wickers, with a frugatura operation (operation exercised in the psta in fuscella with fingers) favors the spillage of the serum.
 After to have inserted the curd in the fuscelle, the forms come dipped in the obtained warm sheet after the extraction of annealed having a temperature of approximately 80 °C for a variable time from 1 to 10 minuteren. The scalding of the forms contributes to the drying of the cheese and the formation of a homogenous crust.
After approximately 24 hours, in which the cheese comes rivoltato in fuscella many times over, the salt out to dry is carried out and/or in pickling brine with it according to knows them large for a variable period from the 3 to 6 days dimensions of the form.
At the end of the saltura the forms opportunely washed and cleaned up of know them in excess, come placed in the premises of stagionatura for the minimal period of 2 months.
In the period of stagionatura the cheese many times over is turned, washed and dealt with oil of olive and vinegar.

Pecorino di Carmasciano
Procedure:
Latte of the milking of the evening and the mattino successive
Heating of the latte ones to 37-40° C
Addition of lamb rennet
After 30 minuteren breach of the curd
Clearing of the serum
Mold preparation of the pecorino in fuscelle
Recovery of the serum
Heating of the serum (90°C) and production of the annealed one
Putting in fuscelle of the annealed one
Pressatura of the pecorino
Salt out of the pecorino

Pecorino Of Laticauda Sannita
The latte ones fresh as soon as munto, or coming from the milking precedence, it comes filtered and place in boiler for being heated till a temperature of 35/40 degrees, therefore the rennet of lamb of Laticadua is introduced.
As a result of the breach of the curd, lumps are formed of the little ones that removed manually, are placed in fascere; the product thus obtained comes pressato with the fingers, till to obtain a compact mass.
The cheese comes therefore put in pickling brine for being commercialized after various times to second of the tipologia: coolness 2gg, semiseasoned 2 months, seasoned minimum 4 months. During the phase of stagionatura the form comes washed with hot serum and water of sink. When the cheese is mature and begins “sudare”, that is emits some drop of liquid, comes greased with extra oil vergine of olive.
The pecorino of laticauda it is introduced of typical cylindrical form, with sizes that go from 300 gr. for the fresh cheese, till approximately 5.5 kg. for the seasoned cheese.
Al term of the stagionatura, whose duration oscillates between the 4 and twelve months, the product introduces a hard consistency, farinosa, at times not adherent to the instrument of cut, with fine grain and fracture to scales, deprives of inner cavities and imperfections. The varied color from the yellow paglierino to the shining yellow, in relation to the tenor of fat people. Of intense smell gradevole and of latte pecorino, it has a slightly piccante sapore.

Bagnolese Pecorino
Raw produced cheese pecorino with latte coming from sheep of the population dictates “bagnolese or malevizza” constantly to the used pasture it is coolness that seasoned like cheese from table or grattugia.

Addition of lamb rennet
Clearing of the serum
Recovery of the serum
Salt out of the pecorino

Pecorino Salaprese
"The latte ones come carried to approximately 36 degrees, aggiungendovi rennet.
it coagulates in 20 - 30 minuteren. After the breach of the curd to dimension of a chicco of rice one lets in rest for some minute, then is put in pressandola form in order to let out the serum. Passages 3-4 hours the forms come scottate in the hot serum. The salt out is carried out approximately to dry for 24 hours. The forms come placed to mature in fresh and ventilated atmosphere, and are ready to the consumption after a short drying in atmosphere to constant temperature."

Addition of lamb rennet
Clearing of the serum
Recovery of the serum
Salt out of the pecorino
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:04:33 AM by DeejayDebi »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:09:13 AM »
Here are a few one not completely translated yet ...

Pecorino stagionato nello Ziro - seasoned with ziro
This “Pecorino” is produced with latte of pasteurized entire sheep to 70-72 °c, cooled to 38-40°C, comes added to lactic ferments us and stirred for half hour, a called time joins to natural rennet in powder (“the presura”) and it lets to rest for half hour; then with the spino the curd is broken off and it is put in the stamps.

Stew in the room to vapor to +38-40°C comes for approximately 3-4 hours and salato by hand. The forms are put to mature in frigorifera cell to 8-12 °c on aces of fir wood. After three months of stagionatura it comes dealt with oil and here the particularitity, according to an ancient Tuscany tradition the others three months of stagionatura comes job lot made putting the forms inside of antichi ziri (orci) of terracotta where it continues the stagionatura, but the characteristic that assumes is that of a cheese from the soft and vellutata paste. This characteristic comes to it conferred from the atmosphere and the enzymes that are developed inside of the ziro of terracotta. The forms assume a beautiful yellow color paglierino, with a soft paste from the determined taste. Ingredients: latte ovine pasteurized, rennet, knows them, lactic ferments us. Suggestions: Optimal accompanied from little mostarda sweet or piccante sauce of fichi

Pecorino semi secco - Dry Pecorino seeds

This “Pecorino Cheese” is produced with latte of pasteurized entire sheep to 70-72 °c, cooled to 38-40°C, comes added to lactic ferments us and stirred for half hour, a called time joins to natural rennet in powder (“the presura”) and it lets to rest for half hour; then with the spino the curd is broken off and it is put in the stamps. Stew in the room to vapor to +38-40°C comes for approximately 3-4 hours and salato by hand. The forms are put to mature in frigorifera cell to 8-12 °c on aces of fir wood. After three months of stagionatura it comes dealt with oil and natural coal This cheese comes seasoned in order at least 90 days, the forms assumes a beautiful color gray anthracite, the paste is compact from the saporito taste. Ingredients: latte ovine pasteurized, rennet, knows them, lactic ferments us. Suggestions: It is accompanied splendidly with pears or marmellata of fichi. Confection: Forms from 1,300 Kg. approximately

Grendal

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »
Thank you very much, your post knocked off 5 of the cheeses I'm looking for.

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
Nice pictures John, I am wondering why we don't have shops like this in Oz.  :(

And thank you Debi for the recipes.