Author Topic: Muenster Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 14010 times)

louise2

Muenster Cheese Making Recipe
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
    I hope i'm doing this right.   I have been trying to find the recipe to making
Muenster Cheese.  I use to have the recipe and it was wonderful.  Not a hard to cheese to make.  And i used goat milk too.   Hope someone out there has the know how...........thanks christine

Cheese Head

Re: Looking For Muenster Recipe
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
Hi louise2

Muenster is a great cheese, picture from local grocery store attached, good question on Muenster Cheese Making Recipe, yes we need one! Luckily this is the right place as I have 2 and will post what I think is the best combined.

As you've made it before, I'm sure you know it's a surface ripened cheese using the red Brevibacterium Linens or B. Linens which you will need to get from a Cheese Making Supply Store, I've listed ones I've found here.

I'll have the recipe posted here in about an hour for you, hope you let us know how it turns out . . .
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:34:13 PM by Cheese Head »

Cheese Head

Muenster Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:33:40 PM by Cheese Head »

cozcoester

Re: Muenster Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 06:46:34 AM »
Awesome!  I love muenster cheese.  I can't wait to try this recipe.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »
John, always wants me to name my cheese, so I'll make a muenster and call it Eddie.

cozcoester

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »
I think Eddie is a great name for a cheese. ;D

Annie C.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:21:43 AM »
In the muenster recipe on cheeseforum.org, it doesn't say how long phase 2 (#21) needs to age. Can you tell me the recommended time? Thanks!

goat lady

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
I don't use the Brevibacterium Linens my recipe calls for a coating of hungarian paprika for the color.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
You don't use B. Linens? I'm no expert but that wouldn't be Munster would it?

I mean that likes making blue cheese without P. Roquforti? Isn't it?

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »
In the muenster recipe on cheeseforum.org, it doesn't say how long phase 2 (#21) needs to age. Can you tell me the recommended time? Thanks!

Sorry, poor wording, I believe it's the same time ~45 days whether you wax or bag or keep in very high humidity cave.

goat lady

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 08:47:32 PM »
the muenster recipe I use only has milk, rennet,salt and paprika for the color,its an old recipe

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 11:00:15 PM »
goat lady, I posted pictures of store bought American made Muenster cheese here, ingredients didn't mention paprika, but that orange rind colour does look artificial :o!

newbie001

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »
I liked the recipe and am looking forward to trying it in a few weeks when I get things put together.

I do have a question because it seems strange that your recipe and procedure do not include pressing.

You don't mention how much weight or for how long that you press in the mold. I know that muenster is softer but shouldn't it need at least a few pounds of pressure to make a good mold shape? Or does pressing with your hands like a sandwich really do it.

Thanks for any clarification.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 12:55:50 AM »
Here's the one I use using B.Linens

Muenster cheese

Ingredients:
4  gallon whole Cow Milk
1/4 teaspoon Probat 222 or Mesophile Aromatic Type B
Optional: Calcium Chloride if using store bought pasterurized milk.
Rennet, amount as per package directions or your experience.
1/4 teaspoon of Brevibacterium Linens.
Rennet per manufacturers instructions
Salt for brine.

Procedure:
-Warm to 90° F  stiring gently. Turn off heat.
-Sprinkle culture and B. linins over milk. Mix using up and down strokes. Let sit for 5 minutes.
-If using store bought  milk then dissolve the calcium chloride in 1/4 cup pure water and mix well.
-Mix the rennet in 1/4 cup pure water and stir into milk for 1 minute. cover and set aside at same temperature for 45 minutes or until get good curd break.
-Leave for 40 minutes covered maintaining  90° or until a clean break is achieved.
-Cut the curds into 1/2 inch pieces, cover, settle curds and maintain temperature for 30 minutes.
-* Strain curds in cheesecloth lined collander for 10 minutes then carefully laddle curds into molds. The curds are very soft and delicate at this stage!
-Cover - avoid drafts and drain for 24 hours, gently flipping cheeses several times.
-If curds are still to soft to handle after 24 hours wait another 5 or 6 hours
-Remove from molds and sprinkle each side with 1/4 teaspoon of salt then place on mat in a ripening container at 55°F and 85% humidity.
-Turn cheeses daily, remove whey for about 3 days or until no more whey is released.
-**Wash cheeses every other day with cloth dipped in brine mix of 1 cup water and 2 teaspoons of salt.
-After about 10 days an orange smear will appear. Continue to wash cheeses every other day for at leat 2 weeks for small cheeses and 3 weeks for large cheeses.
-Ripen for up to 3 months.

* After draining curdsfor 5 minutes try adding cooled boiled cumin seeds over the curds mixing in gently.
** Cheese may be washed in 1 teaspoon salt anf 1 cup of Alsatiam white wine.