Author Topic: Mizithra Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 4786 times)

Debra

Mizithra Cheese Making Recipe
« on: July 20, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »
Does anyone know a good mizithra recipe?  Or any ideas on the best way to experiment and try figuring out a recipe?
Thanks in advance for any help!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizithra_cheese

http://www.cheesesupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/192

Megan

Re: Mizithra Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »
Also known as Mitzithra, this is a ewe’s milk cheese made from whey of Feta and Kefalotyri.

From the sounds of it, they add an acidifier, and make basically ricotta with the leftover whey.
Gotta run,
Megan 

Debra

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
Thanks Megan,
I'll do some more experimenting!

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »
Hi, i make this often, it is from a greek recipe book my mother gace me years ago
Ingredients: 10 cups whole milk (not homogenised)
3 teaspoons non iodised salt
2 rennet tablets or 2 teaspoons of rennet
1 tablespoon cold boiled water
Heat milk in a heavy pan till lukewarm, stir in salt and remove from heat. crush rennet tablets in a small bowl, add cold (boiled) water and stir till dissolved OR 2 teaspoons liquid rennet mixed with the water. Slowly pour rennet liquid into milk, stiiring gently, cover pan with lid and leave at side of stove, undisturbed for 30 minutes.
when set, break up curds by stirring with a whisk or spoon, then let curds settle for about 5 minutes.Line a colander with a double layer of muslin or cheesecloth or, use a large cotton teatowel. Ladle curds into this, collect whey in a bowl if required. (see end of recipe)
Let curd drain for a while, then scrape down cheese on sides of cloth and tie ends of cloth together.
Let drain for another 6 hours at room temperature, then suspend from a shelf in the fridge if using a tea towel or muslin , or set up your cheese mold with a pan underneath to catch the drained liquid. Leave for another 12 hours to drain thoroughly.
Turn cheese out of cheese mold or cloth and store in a sealed container in fridge, it will keep for around 4-5 days.