Author Topic: Matt B's Feta #1  (Read 2532 times)

Matt B

Matt B's Feta #1
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:10 PM »
I don't have any pics of the final product or of it in the brine. I ended up dumping this because the curds originally sank to the bottom of the brine and then floated to the top after a week or so. I've heard that means there was some bad nasties in there.

Pasteurizing the milk

Cooling the milk

Cutting the curd #1

Cutting the curd #2

Scooping out the curds

Curds draining

Curds

Salted curds #1

Salted curds #2

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Matt B's Feta #1
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:15:07 AM »
They sure look lovely! I know nothing about feta one of the cheeses I've never cared much for. Maybe I should make it and see if I like it better home made? Sorry to hear you had to dump that pretty cheese Matt.

newbie001

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
I know that it is long past the time but I am not sure that you were correct to throw it out. You are right when curds float to the top it is an indicator of bad bacteria, but I have made feta, and have bought it commercially and it sometimes floats in the brine. Brine is a salt solution and many things float because they are less dense. That is different than curd rising and floating in the whey.

But it is always better to be safe. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 03:41:27 AM »
Ahh I think I missed something there. It floated in a salt water brine after pressing not in the whey while cooking?

That wouldn't be a problem.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
Hi Matt and welcome to the forum, nice pictures.

Looks like everything went well, I think like others said it was probably OK, I had a look at my Feta making pictures and looks like my cut feta floats, I'll pay closer attention next time to confirm it does.

Initially yours sounded a little strange that sunk in brine and then floated, I would have thought that as cheese absorbs salt it would get heavier and stay sunken. But depending how much you de-wheyed your curds, it could initially sink and then rehydrate as well as absorb salt, in which case it could become less dense and float in your brine.