Author Topic: Milk with CaCL2 needed?  (Read 1439 times)

MDSKPR

Milk with CaCL2 needed?
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:02:02 PM »
Is it possible to use just a little extra rennet when using homgenized pasteurized milk to achieve a clean break? Thanks in advance!

John(CH) said this: Alvin, great replies already, my only 2 cents is that while it's helps with getting a good curd set with pasteurized milk, it is not critical, you may just need a little extra rennet. So don;t let a lack of CaCl2 slow you down   

I suppose that that is right
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:26:38 PM by MDSKPR »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Milk with CaCL2 needed?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »
Alvin -

I've been making cheese off and on since 78 and I never even knew about CaCl2 until a few years ago. So I've only started using this year?

I don't really see a huge difference unless I'm using low fat milks.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »
Alvin- as a rule I generally add ca cl in my cheese making. It seems to give a little firmer curd formation. I will say though that it only seems to be beneficial when I use certain store bought milks. Some milks apparently due to there processing do not in my opinion based on my experiences need the addition of ca cl. I do not add any when working with raw cows milk. I think you have to establish your own base of experience(take good procedural notes) and let that be a guide. The pasteurization process of store bought products does have an impact on the overall chemistry of the milk.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »
I agree with Zenith. The only time I have found I need the CaCl2 is with WalMart milk. I don't know what they do to it but it seems really thin for whole milk.