Author Topic: Ziggy's Crottin Making - Slip Skin Problem  (Read 4677 times)

siegfriedw

Ziggy's Crottin Making - Slip Skin Problem
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:55:35 PM »
OK - so after lurking for a long time I fially signed up so I could post.  :)

I have not seen this question asked before. I have successfully made several Camemberts but just tried Crottin.

They bloomed nicely at 5 days or so but now (8 days) are developing severe slip skin. The rind is literally separated from the body of the cheese and the body is still white but with no mold on it.

I highly suspect this is because I did not air dry or drain long enough,

My question is - is still safe to try (taste) the body or  should I feed them to the pigs.

siegfriedw

Re: Ziggy's Crottin Making - Slip Skin Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:49:21 PM »
No one else on here make Crottin?

What would you do if this happened to your Camembert?

Has anyone ever had it happen?

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 03:09:30 AM »
Sorry siegfreidw.

Never made Crottin, but quite a few people here have had slip skin type problems with Camembert making. There's a good thread on that here, you could also search from the forum homepage on "slip skin" and you'll get several hits.

Does yours look like that or different?

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 03:16:25 AM »
Also, I recently found some more info here.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:30:13 AM »
Also also, off topic but I posted some pictures of cheeses in French Open Air Market, including a couple of Crottins:

siegfriedw

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »
Thanks - John (CH),

That is almost exactly how they look except the core was not runny - it was still creamy white. Anyway the pigs got them this morning. Perhaps I put a pinch to much Geotrichdum in.  Dont know why I missed that post earlier.

Anyway I have lots of milk (we have dairy goats here at Sunrise Farm - www.sunrisefarmnc.com) so I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

This is just for my personal consumption so I use raw milk! I am new to the soft ripened cheeses - have made plenty of chevre and hard cheeses but wanted to start experimenting with soft ones.

At least I got to wrap 7 of my 8 Camembert last night - they are doing fine and look great. We tried the first one and after 10 days it obviously wasn't ready but seem to be coming along well.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »
Sounds good, congrats on Camemberts!