Author Topic: Cheddar without waxing?  (Read 10292 times)

wharris

Re: Cheddar without waxing?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
My use of a vacuum sealer is just to keep the atmosphere off the cheese.  Just to seal the cheese.

My understanding of big commercial cheddar factories is that they use a vacuum for a slightly different purpose. The vacuum there being used in concert with a press to facilitate a closed curd block of cheese. 

In my case, while I would love to get a vacuum chamber to do that, my vacuum is just for sealing.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 08:14:47 PM »
Our machine is about the size of a VW.  It both evacuates around the block and sucks on the open bag end.  The blocks then go through a shrinker, are cooled then sanitized through a tunnel.  It's a pretty cool machine.  I wish I had one back on the farm.

wharris

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
I already have a vacuum pump I use to degass, and transfer wine.  I would love to find a way to use that to make a vacuum chamber.

I was thinking of making a new press using a small gas cylinder, and a thick-walled acrylic chamber that I can use as a vacuum chamber.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 12:46:05 AM »
Is there a way to post photos on here that doesn't require them being on the net somewhere?  I could shoot some pictures on my cell phone of waht the setup is.  It's slightly more complex than a vacuum chamber, becasue of the heat seal portion.  I am going back into the plant in an hour to dehoop some experiments and I can take some photos then.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 01:16:52 AM »
Never tried bagging a blue but I'll bet that's tricky.

I have done salted rinds on cheddars then bagged but then you have to cut of about 1/8 inch to remove the rind which is rough on smaller wheels. I'm hoping to do a 5 pounder this weekend in my new 2.5 kg kadova mold we'll see how it goes on the size. It's pity-i-ful on a 450 gram wheel.

Ariel301

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
Since I only make small batches, I agree with the issue of having to cut away so much of the rind to get into the cheese. It is fairly wasteful. I'd love to work bigger, but I don't have the space, the resources, or the experience yet. I pretty much stay with one-gallon batches of milk.

I've got a small wheel of cheddar that I made a few days ago, and it's sitting out to air dry before being put away to age. It's forming a very nice natural rind, but it's greasy to the touch, like it has some sort of oil seeping out. Is that normal? (previous cheeses I've done have had the same issue)

Ariel301

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 09:34:18 PM »
On the next one, I may try using a non-animal shortening like crisco. How exactly would I go about doing that? Just rub it on?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 02:30:50 AM »
Ariel-
From what I've read a greasy rind is from to high an aging temperature or to high a fat content in the milk. I haven't found this to be a major problem for personal use a few brine baths and it'll be okay.

I made 1 gallon batches for years they are a good size for the house and great for gifts. I am excited about making a big cheese to bring to work. My guys love my little surprise treats. They never know what I am going to bring in next. to hold it.

As far as using lard or crisco - cut some cheese cloth or muslin to fit the cheese (sides, tops, bottoms) then put a bit of lard on the cheese, then put the cloth on the cheese. Smooth it out nice, then apply enough lard to cover all the cloth and hold it in place. It is like waxing but with cloth and lard. Seals it nice against mold direcly on the cheese. AND you don't loose that layer of cheese on every wheel or get overly moist cheeses. I think the lard bandage breathes better than wax...

Wayne-
I was thinking about making something along the lines of a veneer press. I wonder how that might work? I believe I read something in Popular Wood Working a few months back - got me thinking ...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:39:51 AM by DeejayDebi »

Boulderbrewer

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 03:47:13 AM »
I have a 2 1/2 # of cheddar I have not decided on wether to vacuum seal or just wax but I really should do something in the next day or two. What are your thoughts on this. Ithas a good natural rind from sitting out for four days.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 04:01:34 AM »
I personally don't care for waxing. Granted I have only tried it on a few cheddars, jacks, edam, cotswold and a gouda but I think the cheese has a really moist kind of mouth feel I don't care for as opposed to a lard bandage or natural rind when appropriate.

Could just be what I am used to but I like it creamy not moist if that makes sense. I think Wayne can explain it better than I but he seems to feel the same way.

wharris

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »
I have resolved to aging my cheese without wax. 
I will wax only after aging and trimming, just prior to distribution.

I like the "finish" that wax gives to a wheel.  Waxing is a nice touch that is visually appealing,  but for aging,  not so practical.

I would be very affraid, for example, if I aged something in wax for 6 months, that if I gave that wheel to a friend that in that time-frame, some mold might have grown under the wax.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »
Ariel -

I found this link for cheese bandages. Short but it has a picture.

http://thecheesepress.blogspot.com/2008/07/bandaging-cheddar.html
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:13:07 AM by DeejayDebi »

Boulderbrewer

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2009, 11:38:18 PM »
I decided to vacuum seal my cheddar. I actually used two bags. I'll keep everyone up dated. Thanks for the idea.

Ariel301

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 01:19:33 AM »
Thanks for the help. I've got one aging now with a natural rind, and I will make another this week with bandage and crisco, and compare them.

The greasiness of the cheese was happening while I was letting it air dry before putting it in a cold place to age. It sat on the counter for a few days, so the temperature probably is the issue there.

riha

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »
I am very confused with all this. So I ask questions :)

Are all the different sealing/finishing methods alternatives to all cheeses? I thought different methods would produce different results which would lead to different cheeses?

What would be the least wasteful way of sealing a cheese? I also make quite small cheeses, so it'd be nice not to cut most of it off. Is there a "minimum size" for any particular type of sealing?

Wayne, how does one age a cheese without any kind of sealing? Does that mean "natural rind"? Also, what do you mean by saran wrap? Do you just wrap it in plastic sheet? Does this work?

My first hard cheese (gouda) is drying and it will be waxed, but I'd like to try bandaging the cheddar that will be making soon. All these alternatives are very confusing since there's no comparable information, just individual recipes that call for one method. Different sealing methods would be a good addition to the cheese making section.