Author Topic: Draining Rack - Made From 1" PVC Pipe  (Read 1824 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Draining Rack - Made From 1" PVC Pipe
« on: September 10, 2009, 02:37:43 AM »
Here's a draining rack that's easy to make out of 1" PVC. The width and length of the legs can be adjusted to fit your sink or draining area.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Draining Rack - Made From 1" PVC Pipe
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:24:52 AM »
Interesting. I was just getting ready to build new shelves for my second cave with PVC pipe but Home depot is out of the elbows I need.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 09:44:40 AM »
Sailor, looks good. Nice and simple!

Better than my initial wall hook for my cheesecloth draining cheeses, example here. I found that was bending too much so I switched to a camera tripod, example with cheesecloth bag here.

Your's is even simpler, with draining type cheeses I usually make 1 US gallon/3.8 liter of milk batches which weigh 8.6 lb/3.9 kg. Your rack may distort a little, but should hold that weight no problem, plus the cap on the top bar will ensure the bag doesn't slide off.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »
I sometimes have 2 cheeses draining at the same time with 6+ pounds. When I have heavier weight I simply hang closer to the upright. 1" PVC is a MINIMUM size for construction, but bigger PVC would be bulkier and harder to store. FYI the long "legs" do not have to be glued in (mine is). That would make it even easier to store. I was going to put a hook or two on it, but have found that a loose simple overhand knot and a closepin work perfectly. When we're using the kitchen sink for something else (like milk pot cleanup ???) I just use the draining rack on a counter with a bowl underneath.