Author Topic: Question about making Chevre  (Read 3193 times)

tangerine

Question about making Chevre
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »
I received some free local, one week old, raw goat's milk 2 weeks ago from a friend, and I am buying some farm fresh, a few days old raw goat's milk tomorrow.  I want to make chevre.  I froze the 3/4 of a gallon I got and am thawing it out now, to prepare to making chevre tomorrow.

Now, I am in SW Pennsylvania, and I have 2 friends in upstate NY who make goat's milk from their own goats.  One had been pasteurizing it, the other making raw chevre.  They use the NECheesemaking Chevre packets.  They both didn't get a good set, it tasted yummy, but was a yogurt-y consistency.  They both now make raw chevre, adding 1.5 packets, and gets a good firm set.  Neither of them have extra, separate rennet.  I see that someone here make good chevre as per the instructions, but I have been having troubles with the packets and cream cheese.  I am wondering if any of you have an opinion--should I try 1.5 packet, or adding extra rennet?  If so, how much extra rennet?  Could it be that the milk needed extra culture also?  Not just extra rennet?  Any opinions?

goatherdess

Re: Question about making Chevre
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
I use 1-2 drops rennet per quart to help it set. If the raw milk was one week old before you froze it I would consider pasteurizing it. I usually don't let my raw goat milk go over 5 days. But the pasteurization will give it a stronger flavor.

Ariel301

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »
I have those same packets you have and I found (with the help of another member here) that one packet actually does two gallons of milk rather than one. I used a packet in a gallon following the instructions (raw goat milk, not pasteurized), and it set really funny and tasted wrong. But with two gallons of milk, it came out better. I don't know if that will help you or not, as I seem to have had the opposite problem from yours.

leedsfan

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »
I also bought the prepared packets of cheese from New England Cheesemaking co. and twice now the goat milk hasn't set and stays runny. I am heating it correctly to 86 and then  adding my culture/rennet packet only to find that 12 hours later it hasn't set. I want to know if I can still salvage the batch somehow or if I need to throw it out and start again. The packets are only 2 months old, and kept in my freezer inside a large packet so there shouldn't be any issues there. Any ideas?

goatherdess

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »
You can use the failed batches in baked goods like cakes, bread or homemade icing, etc. Any recipe that calls for milk in baking or sour cream or yogurt.

leedsfan

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:44:48 PM »
thank you! I will try a cheesecake recipe next time, sounds like a great idea.

I suppose there is no way of fixing the problem though?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »
Use regular rennet.

leedsfan

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:12:40 PM »
yup, I did once the packet produced no results. I added animal rennet powder. I overkilled it because after that failed I also used some liquid rennet (animal). Neither worked at firming the milk in any way, disappointingly.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
I received some free local, one week old, raw goat's milk 2 weeks ago from a friend, and I am buying some farm fresh, a few days old raw goat's milk tomorrow.  I want to make chevre.  I froze the 3/4 of a gallon I got and am thawing it out now, to prepare to making chevre tomorrow.

Now, I am in SW Pennsylvania, and I have 2 friends in upstate NY who make goat's milk from their own goats.  One had been pasteurizing it, the other making raw chevre.  They use the NECheesemaking Chevre packets.  They both didn't get a good set, it tasted yummy, but was a yogurt-y consistency.  They both now make raw chevre, adding 1.5 packets, and gets a good firm set.  Neither of them have extra, separate rennet.  I see that someone here make good chevre as per the instructions, but I have been having troubles with the packets and cream cheese.  I am wondering if any of you have an opinion--should I try 1.5 packet, or adding extra rennet?  If so, how much extra rennet?  Could it be that the milk needed extra culture also?  Not just extra rennet?  Any opinions?

It sounds like your set may be fine, just that you aren't handling and draining the curd correctly.   I have never used those packets you are asking about, but I assume they are starter and rennet together.  How long do you let it set for and at what temp?  Does whey pool at the top and around the sides in the pot?  How do transfer the curd for draining and how long do you drain it for?  After adding salt do you let it drain more?

Alex

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:21:57 AM »

It is hard to coagulate more than 3 days old refrigerated milk. It's even harder to coagulate thawn milk, because during freezing the fat separates and is very difficult to mix it back. Adding CaCl may solve the problem partialy.