Author Topic: Cabre al Vino Cheese Recipe  (Read 15091 times)

Tea

Re: Cabre al Vino Cheese Recipe
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 04:40:19 AM »
Cut the caerphilly last night, and I must admit it is different to the last one that I made.
This one has the holes in it, so not sure if that happened when laddling in, or with maturing. Any ideas would be appreciated.
The flavour with this one is quite sharp, which is surprising, I didn't expect that in so young a cheese.  You can taste the wine flavour although at this stage it is not a strong flavour.
The cheese is also a little crumbly, which I thought you would only get in an older cheese.
Put the rest back in the "cave" until further use, so will be interesting to see how the flavours develop.
Over all though I am happy with this.  Even my husband likes it, so that is a definate plus.

reg

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »
Tea the molds wipe off very easily with either a cloth dampened with vinegar or a brine solution. if you have some molds that are in cracks or in the fold marks from the cheese cloth use a brush and gently rub them off.

my next Alpine style will be a natural rind so i expect there to be lots of brushing.

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
Tea, looks and sounds great, Reg, I think the white is intentional white mold as I think Tea put some Penicillium Candidum in with her wine to give it that effect.

Tea the holes look like uneven vacancies in your cheese not round eyes from Proprionibacteria Shermanii. That means like reg's recent pictures on his cut Manchego and another cheese that they didn't grow but where left when pressing probably from harder curds. Not sure how you got th harder curds if that is it, reg normally cooks his to quite a high temp to get that effect. Looks nice though.

I still haven't cut my wine soaked cheeses, still amazed that sadly the colour and flavour doesn't permeate the pate more.

Most of my cheeses turn our crumbly, I have a little info here on acidification which may be a key to crumblyness vs pastyness.

Tea

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 10:18:17 PM »
Hi Reg and thanks.  I wasn't refering to the mould on this cheese, just mould in general.

Cheese Head I agree.  I think the hole are due to laddling the cheese into the pressing mold originally.  NOTE to self.  Be more careful next time.

Well I must say that I like the cheese, just not sure about the wine rind with the white mould.  Something about it just doesn't seem to go.  Anyway over all, happy with the experiment.

Cheese Head

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 10:38:01 PM »
Agree it's an acquired taste, I used to drink Spanish wine from Rioja region until it got too expensive, that wine always had a musty flavour that reminded me of cheese. Anyone not for everyone . . .

Tea

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »
I opened a monterey jack that I soaked in port the other day, and it has taken of a completely different flavour to the caerphilly.  This one the flavours have definately permeated through the whole cheese, and there it a definate grape/wine flavour.  Much more pleasant than with the white mould, but still an aquired taste I think.
Anyway I would definately do this cheese again, but not the caerphilly one.

Cheese Head

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »
Doesn't that look nice and very colourful too! I have one wine soaked Gouda still aging, other has gone ;D.

Tea

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 09:33:40 PM »
So what were your thoughts on your cheese?  The one your eaten I mean.

Cheese Head

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 12:46:08 AM »
Mine looked remarkably like yours, without the wax.

Taste wise, my string red wine flavour was only appparent on the rind, not further in. It was fun and different but I think I like my Cumin Gouda better.