Author Topic: newbie from south central Wisconsin  (Read 1107 times)

germanbini

newbie from south central Wisconsin
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
Hello all!  I just found this forum and am enjoying looking around.  My boyfriend and I live on 11 acres and own a few goats - our Nubian doe, Daisy, just gave birth about two weeks ago, and I hope to use some of her milk to make cheese.  We also have access to fresh cow milk as well.  I'm still trying to figure out where to buy the cultures to make cheese with, but I think it looks like I can use yogurt or buttermilk without having to buy cultures.  I have some Junket rennet tablets; now all I need to do is get some milk and try it.  I'm still standing on the diving board and feeling intimidated, but hopefully I'll take the plunge soon!  :)

Cheese Head

Re: newbie from south central Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:57:55 PM »
Hi germanbini, welcome to this forum, don;t worry, we all started there!

They should do to start, but in time you will probably want to buy cultures & some equipment, lots of US basedcheesemaking supply stores listed here.

I haven't used Junket tablets, people have mixed results with them, you can search this forum for "Junket" to see some posts. Simple soft cheeses are great place to start as reasonably easy, need minimal special equipment, and no aging so quick results to build confidence.

Have fun!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 03:24:07 AM »
Welcome germanbini -

Nice to see someone from Wisconsin here. I have family there and love Wisconsin cheese stores. I am one of the people that has used Junket and had excelent result on soft cheeses but only with cows milk. I can't say how it works on goats milk - I haven't used it yet.

Enjoy the forum the people are great here and very helpful.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »
Hello, germanbini!  I live in west central Wisconsin, near Menomonie.

I'm one who started out using purchased cultures and liquid rennet, but now use clabbered milk (works the same as buttermilk) and yogurt as cultures for my cheese.  I also use Junket rennet and have great results.

I have my own cow (Jersey/Holstein cross) and have never tried goat's milk.

Welcome and I say, Take the plunge!  Cheesemaking is great.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:26:39 AM »
Just wanted to say I have had good luck with Junket rennet ovethe past 30 years as well. I never used liquid rennet until I found this place a few months ago. I got curious so I tried veggie rennet. Works a bit better for curd formation but the cheeses are about the same.