Author Topic: Last night I did Munster  (Read 5834 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Last night I did Munster
« on: August 02, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »
This was MY weekend and last night I did Munster. This is the first time I used the B. Linens though. Pricey little buggers they are! I was surprised when I opened the packet and saw there was only enough in there for maybe 10 pounds of cheese. Yikes!

Anyway I bought a few 4x4 square molds from Glengarry Dairy and Cheese a few months ago and finally got to try them. I like them a lot. Only $7. I think I will order a few more.

So this batch was also 7 gallons of raw milk. I only had two of the square molds so I had to also use the 2 kg mold for the remaining curds.

Here's this weekends cheeses:

The large wheel is the Manchego I made Friday night and the small wheel and the squares are the Munster which theoretically will turn reddish in 10 day or so.

Wayne - the 2kg mold will press all the way to the bottom unlike the smaller 450 gram and 1 kg molds so if you are a little short on curds you still get a nice shaped cheese! Both of the round cheeses were pressed in the 2 kg mold.

Cheese Head

Re: Last night I did Munster
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »
Debi, they look great, very envious!

I also have some B linens and should give this a try, how are you applying your B liners, atomizer?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:18:17 AM »
Actually someone at beer forum told me he mix it in with the cultures and it worked - we will see.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
I think i missed the thread about your new mould. 

Wow,  what size is that mould?    I definately feel some mould envy building....  Looks great.
What size, how much, where bought....  Love to hear all the detatils..

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:13:57 AM »
B. Linens are commonly added to brine.  unfotunately we use our brine tanks for other, non slimy cheeses so we get the b.linens growing via wash.  Basically we make up a bucket of 3% salt solution and add b.linens.  We then dunk the cheeses in it 1x daily for the first 3 days.  After that we smear the solution on the rind with a lint free cloth.  You should have used geo 13 with yours no?  B. linens take so long to start you should have a placeholder culture, othrwise you risk cross contamination from blues etc.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 03:44:31 AM »
Francois -
I don't usually do blues, I don't care much for them. I have done gorgonzola in years past (my Dad loved it) but I didn't like it either it still tastes like blue cheese!

I have never bought the b. linens before so I thought this time I would try it. I mixed it in with the starter cultures as was suggested by a friend on a beer forum but maybe I will use the remaining linens and try your method. Thanks for the advice.

It looks pretty but doesn't add much flavor when sliced IMHO. Still want to make a batch with chopped pistachios for some reason. Must be the Italian in me I use pisachios in a lot of recipes.

Wayne -
I had Margaret Morris from Glengarry Cheese order these for me back in April. It was supposed to be the 1.5 to 2 kg molds but I think they are a 3 to 3.5 kg molds. It held the entire 7 pounds of curd with room left over! I also thought I had ordered 2 but I got billed for 4 and 4 were delivered in July. I was only charged $85 each for the 2 kg molds but the 3 kg molds go for $186. If your interested I have 2 extra in the box I don't think I will ever use.

The neat part is they are not tapered like the 450 g and the 1 kg molds the follower can go all the way to the bottom so you'll always have enough curds for a good press. You can have them for one for what I paid plus shipping if you want one. I thought of selling them on eBay but I thought of you first. I figured you could use them with that MONSTER vat.

BTW this cheese took 1 #10 can of tomatoes and 1 can of Bush beans to press about 10 pounds and 24 hours.  ::)

Here's what the 450 gram, 1 kg and the 3 kg look like in comparison:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:03:54 AM by DeejayDebi »

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:55:13 PM »
if you try my way add geo, kl71 and possinly mva to the wash as well to give the b.linens a foot hold.  you will get a ripe, sticky rind.  just be sure to keep the rind extra moist.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 03:35:23 AM »
I have Geo 15 ... but not Geo 17. I don't know what KL71 or MVA is.

I used CHOOZIT™ Linens W Visbyvac LYO 1 D from Danlac

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 03:39:45 AM »
KL71 (Klyyveromyces) is an aroma devloping yeast.  It also neutralizes the rind so b.linens can take over.  MVA is a micrococci that also works on aroma, texture and rind.

Danisco has both (Margaret Morris will know them).

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 10:38:15 PM »
Ah I will look into it for the next batch. To late to order it for this batch.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »
Well I tried a few slices of my Muesters tonight. Never did grow the red sides like the recipes suggested. I checked the book again it Debbie Amerein Boyes also suggested mixing the B. Linens in with the other cultures. It has only been 2 weeks - Not bad a bit mild maybe another week or two.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 12:38:16 AM »
You can also do a brick recipe, or raclette. ANny of those cheeses in that shape and smeared will give you good results.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:00:39 AM »
Never had raclette I always thought that was like a brie or camembert.

I have a tiny bit of the B. Linens left I'll try your method next time but I think I will skip them after that they are way to pricey! I can make a whole batch of cheese for what the B.linens cost me.