Author Topic: Slovak Cheese  (Read 7865 times)

DaggerDoggie

Slovak Cheese
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:43:07 PM »
I was just talking to my daughter on Skype.  She has been in Slovakia on Rotary exchange for the past year.  She comes home in a month, I can't wait. ;D

I have been telling her about my cheese escapades.  I sent her a link to this forum so she could see my cheeses and she started telling me about what they eat there.

They eat a lot of soft cheeses and the most common, perhaps national dish is BryndzovÉ haluŠky which is a potato and dumplings soup with bacon made with Bryndza.  I did a search and it looks like it is basically feta cheese made from ewe's milk.  Katrina told me it is not like feta since it is soft and spreadable...ah, but she only knows the store-bought feta, not the very soft, fresh stuff.  I'm thinking if I use a lot of cream and follow a feta recipe, I may be able to replicate this cheese to some extent when she comes home.  Or I could buy a freshened ewe.  She said it comes in plastic bags with a lot of water around it and is salty.  Sound like feta to me.

She also said they eat a lot of crusty bread on which they put salty lard.  She likes it, but probably the most healthy way to eat bread.  I'm going to have to try it.  I don't even know if you can buy lard any more...I'll have to check.

Other unique cheeses are:

Parenica is a sheep’s cheese that rolled up like a long ribbon.  I found this online:

Oštiepok sounded very interesting to me.  She's going to try and bring some home.  It's a smoked sheep's milk cheese that is hard.  They also put that on bread in slices.   I did a search on how it is made and it sounds interesting.  No recipes found yet.

Cheese Head

Re: Slovak Cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:57:14 PM »
Does sound somewhat like Feta for which I think you need a special culture or Lipase Powder if using Cow's milk. The only time I tried making Feta was without any of that and I basically got salty curds.

Our 16 year old just left today for San Antonio for a 1 week mission trip, working in food bank, soup kitchen, and making wheel chairs, will do here good, I expect she'll come back a little different from middle class suburbia ;). Already miss her, 1 year, wow . . . :o.

When I was a poor student backpacking around Europe I was in a working men's bar in Spain and they had free whiteish creamed honey and toast! Put a big dolop on and bit in, yikes not honey but what, yes, bacon grill type drippings! OK close to lard, yuk :P  :P  :P.

I ended up going through what was then Yugoslavia to Greece, nice people and some parts very picturesque!

Maybe she can dig up a couple recipes in her spare time?

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »
Dumb de dumb dumb, must read, Slovak as in ex Czechoslovakia, nothing to do with Yugoslavia . . .

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:37:02 PM »
No, not dumb...I'm not sure most people even know of Slovakia...it was past over in WWII so we really have no history with them.  Besides, Yugoslavia has a somewhat similar resent history, although Slovakia has been spared the violence.  Since it has only been independent from Czechoslovakia since 1989, not many Americans go there.  My daughter says people there are intrigued to meet an American. 

It is tough having our kids leave home.  A week may not seem like a long time, but when she left for the year, the first week is the toughest, so I know what you are going through. :'(

I asked her if she could try to go to a cheese monger or farm to get a recipe in methods, she said she will try.  She is in a relatively large city, Kosice, so not many farms right there.  We'll see what she comes up with. :)

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 11:13:12 PM »
Here it is, BryndzovÉ haluŠky, around the 2:00 mark.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:15:09 PM by DaggerDoggie »

Tea

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 12:05:35 AM »
Well I know that I live in Aussie, but according to US soapers that I know, lard can still be bought in the supermakets.  Not sure where it will be kept, but here it is in the fridge section along with the butter, and other hard blocks of frying fats.
Or you could contact a butcher and render your own, it you feel that keen.

Ok in regards to a soft feta, (got some on the go now), I add ??? what percentage of cream, to make a soft feta.  I much prefer the soft feta's, but have only been able to make the harder version.
Any information greatly appreciated.
Tracey

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 12:33:31 AM »
Hi Tea

That sounds posh as in High Tea :)! OK old joke I suspect.

I can't find a Feta recipe where you add cream. Salt brine hardens cheese, is it possible that your's is getting too hard in brine as either too long or brine is too strong?

The only time I've made feta it turned out too soft as still too moist with whey.

Molly at Fias Farm Co has a great example of making Feta here, albeit without cream.

Hope helps . . .
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:48:35 AM by Cheese Head »

Tea

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 03:15:48 AM »
mmm high tea ... now that's new, no one has said that to me before.  Can assure you that there is nothing posh, or high and mighty about me.

tea for two ... now that worked while I had 4 girls and 2 boys, but now I have 5 girls and 3 boys, so that's out.

Truth be told they're my initials.

Tracey

Tea

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:00:25 PM »
I forgot to add in my last post about the cream.
I was responding to Dagger Doggie's post in regards to adding cream to make a softer feta.  I am aware that the salt is what makes it harder, and I brine mine at around 12%, which I have read is the lowest percentage that should be used for a feta.  I only turn the curds twice, in the hope that minimal breakage of the curd might promote a softer cheese, but so far no luck.  So I guess I am looking for any hints on how to get a soft feta, as that is my preference in a feta.
Tracey

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
I'm going to experiment with this during the week sometime.  I would like to try and get it perfected when my daughter comes home.

I did use the broken pieces from my Manchego cheese disaster last night in a salad.  It had the texture of store-bought feta and was fairly salty.  It tasted good in the salad, or at least my son and finance were being really nice to me.  It was one of the few cheeses I have made that I have actually eaten so far and we're all still alive. ;D 

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 12:19:19 AM »
Welcome to the final stage, albeit with a piece of cheese you picked up off the floor . . . . good to hear toy are still alive ;D.

Tea

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 08:43:31 PM »
I find myself holding my breath every time the family tries something new.
Great to hear that it went down well.
Congrats.
Tracey

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Well Thanks!

Now for the others...my moldy cheeses are molding up nicely, if that is nice, and my blue cheese is getting a little furry.  I'm told that is a good sign, but we'll see.

I'm starting to like the looks of the washed rind cheeses better, but the truth will be in the taste.  That's the problem with waxing cheese, you can't see what it is doing.

Cheese Head

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 10:47:31 PM »
Oh great mysterious cheese, what mischief doest thou covet behind ye cover, soon all will be revealed, say I.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 11:56:29 PM »
Opened up and tried my smoked Manchigo Cheese.  It was a little dry, somewhat salty, not sure why.  Anyway, it was my first sampling of my ageg cheese.  It was good, but I was somewhat disappointed.