Author Topic: I Finally Did it Crosta Rossa Pistacchi Cheese! - Update!  (Read 12142 times)

Tea

Re: I Finally Did it Crosta Rossa Pistacchi Cheese!
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 08:01:52 PM »
That is one impressive looking cheese Bella.  I too am interested in what you thought of the final flavour?

Bella

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
Hi Boofer and Tea
My apologies for not answering you question about flavour before this. Earlier in the week, and a day or so after sampling the cheese, I wrapped up the remains to give to friends who will be visiting this weekend. I figured there is another cheese there for me to enjoy at a later date. But I have to say that I really liked it.

Now I’m the world’s worst at describing flavours, and for the life of me I would be unable to give you a good answer without having the cheese in front of me. I’ll convince one of my weekend guests to open the package and between all of us we can come up with a good answer.

But from this distance, it had a buttery flavour, semi-hard rather crumbly texture, and the pistachios were not really the dominance that I expected. After removing the mould, what was left behind was a nice firm rind that had no flavour that I could detect, but it did give the cheese a visual appeal with the black/grey against the greenish tinge of the pate.

I’ll report back after the weekend with something a little more definite. But this is definitely a cheese that I will make regularly.
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 05:20:49 AM »
I think you did a better job describing the cheese than I did. I can not descibe flavors to save my life!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2009, 09:44:13 AM »
I look forward to hearing the consensus of your tasting group. Your preliminary flavor description has me intrigued. I just happened to have some red wine and a bunch of pistachios handy.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 04:13:35 AM »
Boofer it's really a great cheese and pretty simple IMHO. ONe thing though make sure you use a good wine. Like cooking crappy wine can spoil the flavor.

Alex

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 07:21:15 AM »
 Crappy wine? I wouldn't cook with a wine that I won't drink.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
It amazes me sometimes how people with buy a crappy wine to cook with that they wouldn't drink normally - DUH! It's gonna make crappy food! I know this guy at work that does this all the time and he doesn't want to believe me when I tell him the crappy wine makes the food crappy too.  ::)

Bella

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
Hi again Debi, Boofer and Tea
Here are a few notes from my friends currently visiting….
•   pistachios give a hint of texture to an otherwise smooth cheese, a  subtle flavour which is quite mild, and a piquant after-taste. It’s appearance suggests a cheese with a stronger flavour
•   it is a cheese for those who want something different but are not adventurous enough to take on some of the stronger cheeses
•   the wine provides no obvious flavour

I have just finished eating a Tomme au Marc which sits in a small volume of wine for the entirety of its aging. This cheese has a very definite wine flavour which permeates the cheese. I wonder how Crosta Rossa would be after sitting in some of the wine for a couple of months too? It’s probably something worth giving a go! What say you Debi?
B

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 09:40:25 PM »
Is Chianti the traditional/preferred wine to use? Should the wine lean towards sweet or dry?

I would like to try the recipe and steep my cheese in the wine for several months. Can anyone think of a possible downside to this technique? Would it soften or harden the curd/rind?

I realize I may be straying from true Italian wine, but I'm considering a Merlot.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 11:01:50 PM »
I have read Italian cheese descriptions that say they soak the cheeses for a few weeks at a time. I am not a big wine drinker so how they react to air after some time I can't say. I would think Linux or Wayne could best answer that question.

As far as dry or sweet. I don't know one from the other but I like a wine that tastes good with spaghetti more sweet than bitter. I have used Asti Spumonte and that worked well but doesn't add color. Is that sweet or dry?  ??? I just hapened to get a dozen bottles of the stuff one year from guests. It's not to bad so I used it.

Bella

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 01:44:40 AM »
I used Lambrusco this time around because it was the only Italian wine I could get close by my rural area. I have two bottles of chianti for the next batches, but going from this cheese, and because there is no hint of the wine, it would appear that the wine style you use probably wouldn't matter. There appeared no sweetness from the Lambrusco.

I left Tomme au Marc in both red and white wine for two months (different batches of course), but it wasn't a lot of wine (perhaps a cup). Both cheeses were harder than cheeses ripened without the wine (e.g.  a normal tomme), with the cheese in red wine harder (but only just) than the one in white wine.

Next Crosta Rossa I do, I think I will steep it in chianti as per Debi's recipe, but I think I will leave it in for the entirety of the 2-month period and see what happens, and perhaps use only a small amount of wine. It is probably important to turn the cheese frequently in the early stages to obtain that lovely red coating.

At worst, I feel that the wine flavour will overpower the subtlety of the pistachios, At best, it could add a complexity to the cheese that isn't there at the momth.
B

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 04:13:32 AM »
I get a slight hint of wine on mine but that could be because I don't have to scrum the mold off. I wonder if the mold eats the wine? I don't think the month in the wine would hurt as long as the wine won't spoil. I use cianti because I use that in my tuscan salami and it works well. I would think a nice sweet wine would be good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 08:57:21 AM »
Debi - Asti Spumante has always been our bubbly to ring in the New Year. My wife and I have loved it for 27 years. Interesting choice for a cheese marinade. It's a sweet bubbly.

I would think the tannic acid in any red wine would serve to tighten up the rind. I'm sure someone out there could lend a more informed opinion.

I would agree with a slightly sweet (not dry) red wine with character would be a good choice.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
I like that wine too. I guess that's why everyone gives it to me. One of the few I really like. Asti makes another one I like too but I don't remember what it's called.

There's a wine I used once reccommened by the liquior store lady and it was on sale. Barefoot something. It was pink colored but not a red wine and not really sweet but good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
Re: I Finally Did it Crosta Rossa Pistacchi Cheese! - Update!
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 03:26:14 AM »
I cut one of mine tonight for a potluck lunch tommorow at work. Nice and creamy. Not enough nuts though. I love pistchios. Just a hint of the wine. As you can see I have been washing it silly!  :D