Author Topic: Enchilada the easy way  (Read 1553 times)

pamaples

Enchilada the easy way
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »
Enchilada the easy way
For three or four servings

First you’ll have to make some red chili. Here’s how:

1.   Get some dried red chili pepper pods, hot as you like. If you can’t find them, e-mail me at pamaples2@yahoo.com and I’ll see if I can help you.
2.   Take about 12 or so, remove the stems and seeds and rinse them off. Put them into a sauce pan and cover them with water.
3.   Bring to a boil and simmer gently uncovered about 10 min or until they become soft.
4.   Meanwhile peel garlic, dice some onions, and grate some white cheese -about a pound of cheese for 3 – 4 people or as you like
5.   When the peppers are soft, place them in a blender with enough water to cover, garlic, a 3-fingered pinch of oregano, more garlic, and salt, (not a lot).
6.   Grind this up into a sauce adding water as necessary. It wants to be about the consistency of canned tomato sauce. Voila! Red chili!

Pour the red chili back into the pot and bring back to a boil. Boil gently for at least 10 minutes to thicken. Have the grated cheese and diced onions (and anything else you like such as cooked chicken) sitting ready.

Warm a pile of corn tortillas (I like 5 per person but I have a big appetite) by heating a dry cast iron griddle and placing them in two or three at a time and turning frequently till hot. Place them in a folded towel to keep them warm. Alternatively, and more traditionally, heat an eighth of an inch of oil (lard) in a skillet and heat the tortillas in the oil. They are much better, but it turns into a very high fat meal at that point.

Assembly: Place 2 tablespoons of chili on a warmed plate to act as glue. * Add tortilla.
Add 3 T. chili, some onions, and a little cheese. Repeat from * till tortillas are used up. Or serving size is achieved.

Top with more Chili and cheese. Add an egg on top, cooked to order, if you want. (Of course you will have to add more chili after that!)

A side of pinto beans compliments well.

I can 2  30 lb sacks of green chilies every summer and enchiladas are excellent with green chili too.

Cheese Head

Re: Enchilada the easy way
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 04:04:36 AM »
Thanks Pam, now that is different, basically a pancake stack of Tortillas with fixings on bottom and between layers. Normally we've made them rolled, with chicken inside, and sauce on top. Great idea on red chili sauce, it must have some kick! Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Enchilada the easy way
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:05:34 AM »
Sounds mighty tasty Pam thanks for posting it!