Author Topic: Mascarpone Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 20118 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Mascarpone Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Creme Fraiche STARTER is available from the supply houses. It's similar to Aromatic B but the ratios are probably different.

Tea

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
Ok, looked through my suppliers list, and they don't stock it.  I have B and a flor dancia.  Not any good?
So it should be acidified with a meso not a thermo?  Just wondering as I thought I saw somewhere that C starter was good for mascarpone.

Well I guess I need to start looking around for this starter.

Many thanks Sailor.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 02:48:25 AM »
Crème Fraiche, Aromatic B, and Flora danica all have exactly the same bacteria, including Leuconocstoc m. cremoris that produces a diacetyl flavor and a little CO2. The ratios and strains may be a little different, but that's protected trade information.

MrsKK

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 01:51:26 AM »
Tea, I posted a thread with the recipe for Coffee Liquer in the Favorite  recipes, etc section.

Tea

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
I found what I was looking for.   Cheeselinks has that Cheese starter E (thermo) can be used for mascapone.  What do you think?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »
Not familiar with Cheeselinks or Starter E.

Tea

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't thinking.  wwwcheeselinks.com.au is where I get most of my supplies here in Australia.  Here the cheese cultures are packaged "starter A", "starter B" etc.  Those being mesophilic, C & E are a thermophilic starter.  They are all different blends of those strains.  Hope this made sense.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 05:19:31 AM »
Check the bacteria mix carefully. A standard Meso starter isn't good enough. It needs to include Leuconocstoc m. cremoris that produces a diacetyl flavor and a little CO2.