Author Topic: Hello from the island city in SF Bay, Alameda  (Read 1081 times)

BauerHaus

Hello from the island city in SF Bay, Alameda
« on: August 15, 2009, 06:02:13 PM »
Start by wondering how we got from reading a book (Amimal, Vegetable, Miracle) while driving from San Diego to Alameda six months ago to going to a Beer/Wine making shop today and being excited about picking up Ca-Cl2.
And over the last six months building (cheese press), buying (this packet and that packet, molds, pots, winecooler and etc.), traveling to be taught (Yamhill, OR. for soft cheese education) and inventing (wax dipping tools, including old math skills for volume of wax to melt to submerge a cylinder).

We are up to our fourth cheese type and today's goal is number five, Monterey Jack. By the way how does one change their profile to reflect the number of cheese they are up to?

Gary and Michele
Alameda, home of the best view of San Francisco!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Hello from the island city in SF Bay, Alameda
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
Welcome Gary and Michele -

Sounds like you've come to the right place. All kinds of DIYers here and we're all addicted to multiple hobbies. I also brew but only in the cooler weather. My #1 passion is smoking meat,  making sausage and deli style luchmeat. Although lately cheese has been my biggest obsession. Great folks here your gonna love em!

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from the island city in SF Bay, Alameda
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »
Welcome Michele and Gary!

Sounds like you are off and running, I'm interested in some of your methods and results and in how you liked the course including how long, subject matter etc. There's a Board just for posting about Courses, but it's not very well populated.

On Cheeses, I made a FAQ How To on them. It's a part of the forum software where you give other forum members a thumbs up (or down) by clicking on the appropriate button if they make a great post or help you out. It doesn't represent how many cheeses you've made, I just edited the forum software to change the default word to "Cheeses" to follow the theme of this website ;D, sorry for the confusion.

Again welcome!