Author Topic: Jarlsberg Cheese: History & Development Article (In Norwegian & English)  (Read 2721 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
We must be on the same page this week John I am doing Jalsberg today which from my research started as a gouda with lower temperatures.

I have a pretty neat report that talks a lot about both cheeses and processes in an experiment done in Norway.

I am not sure if this works for files if it doesn't I'll upload it to my site and link it for you. Very informative!

Oh it worked! Just scroll through it's in english and Norwegin.

Cheese Head

Jarlsberg Cheese: History & Development Article (In Norwegian & English)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
Debi, excellent, hope you don't mind but I just reposted it in our Library, in case it might get lost or buried in this thread.

I need to read that when I get time, especially about Gouda making :).

So, looking forward to someone making the the first Jarlsberg in this forum ;)!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
Well We will see. It's not a whole lot different from gouda but I like the flavor better. Oddly enough according to that report the recipes I have collected are using the wrong cultures for what they dem Jaleberg. Every book I have uses a thermophilic as well as a meshophilic and the report says that was what they changed to go from gouda to Jalsberg.

I found it very enlightening in on may levels. They also explained why some cheeses use nitrates as well -  I always wondered about that.  :o

I have some more reports I will put in the library now that I know how to do files here.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
Some key points from the Nowegen Study:

Raising the cooking temperature results in less whey in the cheese curd and this gives a harder cheese.

The addition of water to the cheese whey allows for regulation of the cheese acidity without simultaneously changing the level of moisture in the cheese.

The addition of salt at an early stage in cheesemaking, for example to the whey, can therefore help control the growth and activity of butyric acid bacteria in the cheese.

The study also showed that it was possible to achieve maximal propionic acid fermentation by combining a particular level of whey dilution with a particular brining time.
No other info given.

The effect of whey dilution on the score for taste and aroma in the cheese followed similar trends on the whole, and the tendency to form cracks was clearly reduced by increasing dilution levels.