Author Topic: Salting & Brine Washing Cheese  (Read 7736 times)

DaggerDoggie

Salting & Brine Washing Cheese
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »
I found this video, it's a little dry, but I was interested to see how they initially salted and brine-washed their cheese.

http://www.uplandscheese.com/video.html

reg

Re: Salting & Brine Washing Cheese
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »
thanks for posting that DD, its a good video to watch. after reading a bit about this cheese maker i ran across something interesting and this is direct quotes

We age the cheese in a cold room that is controlled to the same temperature and humidity as the limestone caves in southeastern France and we wash the rind with a brine solution containing the natural bacteria found in those same caves.

what really confuses me about this washed rind cheese is the brine with its high salt content and the natural bacteria that are present, living together. i was always under the impression that salt would inhibit the growth of all bacterias.

BTW the cheese in that video is pretty much the direction i would like to go with the Alpine style of cheese im working on here. also noticed the aging room shelves are all wood. everything i have ever seen with regards to aging cheese is all done on wood. maybe its time for me to consider this

Tea

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 09:03:14 PM »
Very interesting.
Thankyou.
Tracey

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:05:52 PM »
Thanks DD, very good, hope you don't mind but I'll add a link to it on the website's Cheesemaking page. I was interested in that their 12 month cheeses are washed and turned an average of 60 times!

reg i'm pretty sure that salt will inhibit bacteria but I think that doesn't mean it will be bead, just presumably dormant until on cheese when does it's business.

Also, som recipes for brine include using some of the dicarded whey that is 24 hours old! That would be one source of good bacteria!

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
No problem! :)

I had never seen that before, so I found their technique interesting.

reg

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:39:47 AM »
DD i watched that videa a couple of times again this morning and that is the direction i will be going with the Alpine style cheese i'm fooling with here. i'm back to work today and no time to think about cheese but next week i will be working on thoughts about a nice sized cheese cave that will be cooled and the humidity mechanically controlled. i loved that guys finishing room !

reg