Author Topic: Timers - For Measure Recipe Points?  (Read 3243 times)

Cheese Head

Timers - For Measure Recipe Points?
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:19:35 PM »
Like most people I get forgetful or sidetracked, so although I know my cheese making recipe says for example "let sit 5 minutes for cut curd to heal" etc, I can frustratingly miss that point.

To help time my points, I have been using the digital timer on the microwave, but that is a bit of a pain as not loud and conflicts if others want to use the microwave.

So my wife bought me a little pocket sized magnetic back battery operated digital timer, probably for ~USD5. Works great, simple, all it does is time, and beeps loudly. I have it in my pocket whereever I am while making cheese, just have to remember to switch it on!

Anyone else have any other methods, systems?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Timers - For Measure Recipe Points?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:21:44 AM »
I use the aw SH$# method myself ...  :D

goatherdess

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:26:27 PM »
Oh, yeah!  I asked for one of those for Christmas this year. So, I have to wait and refrain from buying one until then. Um…I have the smallest cheapest microwave from Wal-Mart and it runs the timer in the background while the food gets nuked. You just put the food in without hitting the stop button. I would think that they could all multitask that way. 
Right now I just stay in the kitchen, mostly, for the time I make cheese and do the kitchen work, while checking the cheese frequently. You know, wash the dishes, check the cheese, dry the dishes, check the cheese, sweep the floor, check the cheese,  reply on CheeseForum, check the cheese. I keep the computer in the kitchen too and work on it while I keep an eye on the cheese. But I can hardly wait for my new Christmas timer.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:06:27 PM »
One of my smoking probes has a timer and a remote beeper when it hits temperature but with milk that would be to late to turn the heat down I think.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »
It is very convenient to use a timer. I have a triple timer system and it's really convenient when it happens I make two or three cheeses in parallel.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »
I long ago resigned myself to carrying a little timer. 
Too many "oh crap" moments of realization.

I have one on my right now...  32 min to curd cut....

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
Kudo's to Alex!

Making three different cheeses at the same time using a triple count down timer :o! Sa-weet, envious, one day I'll have to try for making two at the same time.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:36:39 PM »
Don't envy me. It's not really big deal. I just have to clarify: I think everyone can handle a 6 liters vat making Camemberts, another same size of an Israeli Zefatit type cheese and a 10 liters Gouda. The first two I pasteurize the last one not. As preparing times are different (and with some help from my wife) the procedure is capeable. I don't consider myself Superman, sometimes I am short in time.

goatherdess

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »
Wow - how many presses do you have? When I make more than one cheese a day I have to make them consecutive to get them all through my single press.

Alex

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 07:48:36 PM »
Actually I have three presses, but, I never make more then one type of cheese that's going to be pressed. In my previous post on this thread (I make two or three cheeses in parallel), two of them do not need to be pressed.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 04:04:11 AM »
I've never made three cheeses at once but I have made cheese, yogurt and smoked meats at the same time while preparing dinner.
I seem to like really slow food.

goatherdess - it all depends on what you consider a press. Anything can be used as a "press."