Author Topic: Wax - Alternatives?  (Read 14233 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Wax - Alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 05:03:46 AM »
I played around with waxing recently and did not like the results. Maybe to new I don't know but I may try a few of the cheeses that have aged a few months. I didn't like that there was tiny specs of wax in the cheese. I had to shave the cheese to get it clean. I also found my edam was to moist for my liking when waxed.

I have always just used salt and olive oil - but keep in mind about 98% of my cheeses are hard Italian cheeses. I have just started making soft and semi hard cheeses this year with the exception of pasta fileta types (still Italian).

Tea

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 09:20:17 AM »
Well just my two cents worth here, but I have really come to like oiling with olive oil.  The natural rind and maturing seems ( for the cheeses that I have tried), to give much more flavour to the final product, than those that I have waxed.

This is just my opinion of course.

Let us know what you finally decided to do.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »
I agree with Tea - I really like olive oil and natural rinds.

cmharris6002

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »
Last year I left waxing behind and moved to natural rinds, olive oil, lard or nothing at all. All of the cheeses come out with about .5cm of rind. At first my cheeses needed lots of cleaning but this year they have required minimal attention.

Christy

Cheese Head

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 12:43:06 AM »
I have two 4 lb Gouda's and two 4 lb Havarti's in the cave aging with natural rind, now between 2 & 3.5 weeks age. Is it too late to olive oil a couple of them and if I do, how often do I wipe them in oil, once twice?

cmharris6002

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 01:18:59 AM »
It is not too late at all! How often you oil the rind depends a lot on your humidity and how long you plan to age your cheese. I will usually oil once the first month and then again if the cheese seems to be getting dry. I use butter or lard on my Havarti.

Christy

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 01:39:05 AM »
John -

I have rubbed olive oil on cheeses over a year old. Once you develop the rind you just need to maintain it with the oil. Use salt also earily on then just oil.