Gouda, Slight Red Tinge On Rind?

Started by Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking, August 16, 2009, 10:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

I have a slight red tinge on my Gouda, which I have been air drying before waxing it-I suspect it may be red bacteria should I wipe it with vinegar before waxing it or shall I just leave it to see what develops? I have had it air drying in the same room I keep my freshly made brie prior to when I refrigerate the brie.- thanks in advance for any suggestions

FRANCOIS

Hi Francois, I tried taking photos but the tinge is so pale it wasn't coming out- so, I have just wiped with vinegar and waxed in  beeswax. I noticed today it is also on my other goudas and cheddars

wharris

One of my Parms had that on it.  If left untreated, it will soften the outter rind of your cheese.

FRANCOIS

If it's that slight you are probably looking at a wild yeast, this is common when people hold their milk too long.

I have used grain alcohol in the past to dab it then scrub it off.  I doubt vinegar will work as these yeasts are usually acid lovers.  Salt is a bad choice normally becasue it will increase moisture locally and cause more rapid spreading. 

DeejayDebi

Quote from: FRANCOIS on August 18, 2009, 08:09:54 PM
Salt is a bad choice normally becasue it will increase moisture locally and cause more rapid spreading.

That is very good to know! Thanks again Francois!

Thanks Francois, when you mention "holding the milk too long" do you mean before I got around to making my cheese? If so, I usually start making my cheese within an hour of milking my cow? I am carefully watching my other gouda and cheddar which i am air drying prior to waxing, so far, they seem fine, so i hope it is just a one of.