Author Topic: USA - Glengarry US Cheese Making Supplies  (Read 11957 times)

reg

USA - Glengarry US Cheese Making Supplies
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
just received my order from Glengary Cheese Supply. some black wax, liquid calcium chloride and a packet of lipase powder. the Manchego project will be a go but not until next week at some point.

reg

Cheese Head

Re: USA - Glengarry US Cheese Making Supplies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:09:09 PM »
Reg, congrats on taking the next step, my understanding is that Glengarry while Canadian based, ships from both Canada and US.

So you being in Canada I can understand why you chose them. Question:
  • How fast was the delivery?
  • Was the packaging good?
  • What do you think so far of the supplies?

In summary, so far would you use them again?

reg

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »
oh yes i would use them again. two day delivery and everything was packed perfectly. i will more than likely order some starters in the very near future

reg

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks reg.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »
Just had to put in a more recent plug for Glengarry. I've used Glengarry 2 or 3 times and they've always been prompt with shipping, helpful on the phone, and knowledgeable.  The only complaint I have is that their website doesn't (yet) allow online ordering, and their pages are photos of catalog pages, so doing a search doesn't work.  Once that is correctly, I'll probably order from them more often, as their prices are good and their service excellent.

cindybman

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »
I recently ordered from Glengarry and I was not pleased.

On January 27 2015 I place my order online. On January 28'th the order was shipped and I received it soon after that.  I received everything I ordered and it seemed well-packed and it was accurate. My order came to a grand total (w/out shipping) to $225.33 (so it wasn't as if I was ordering one or two small items).  My problem?  Well, I had ordered some CHOOZIT CUM and they supplied it; but with a note... they told me that even so they still charged me for the original order of 1 (one) package of the CHOOZIT CUM, there were giving me a second packet for free... because the two packets they were sending me had expired on December 24'th... more than a month earlier.  This upset me a great deal. I mean, I just paid $24 for expired stuff!

I am a hobbyist and a new one, at that.  How much of this stuff can I use in a timely matter? Let alone *two* EXPIRED packages?  I thought it was bogus they would still charge me full-price for the original packet even so it was expired.  I realize many times cultures and rennet can continue to be effective after the expiration date; but this was a total bust for me.

I will never use them again.  I have found quick and exceptional service from NE Cheesemaking, Cultures for Life and the Cheesemaker.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
Cindy,

What a shame! Clearly they felt bad about shipping expired product, and tried to make up for it ... but the proper way to do that would have been to give you the packet for free (remove the charge for it). I don't know how big an operation Glengarry is, but I suspect many of these suppliers are relatively small. I could imagine that maybe the person assembling the order wasn't quite sure what to do, and took this route to try to make it right.

I have dealt with NE Cheesemaking with good results, but another supplier I've been pleased with is Artisan Geek.
-- Andy

cindybman

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
Andy, thanks for the reply!  I'm a real easy-going person (I worked in customer service for eons and so I am quite sympathetic to others in the same boat).  I just wish they (Glengarry) had called me and asked what I had wanted to do.  Most likely I would've chosen to just cancel that item; no harm no foul.  I think if I was in a real pinch, I might try them again.  All the best!

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:05:44 PM »
  Have never tried Glen Gary---but here is my experience so far-----NE Cheesemaking has excellent service and shipping---but are limited on selection of cultures. Artisan Geek has a good selection----but very poor shipping times and customer service is spotty at best. The cheese maker .com ---has a reasonably good selection geared toward the small guy ( the web site can be hard to find some things) prices aren't bad, "free shipping" ---quick delivery and the owner is knowledgeable and willing to talk.
  I have tried quite a few others, some so bad I don't know how they stay in business. Some are geared to more industrial size operations.
So I end up shopping various places because no one place seems to have it all together.
Qdog

cindybman

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 08:10:04 PM »
QDog,  I agree with The Cheesemaker guy... super fast and super helpful.  He includes instructions for every piece equipment sold.  I had super "beginner" questions to ask and he answered promptly.  In one order, he forgot to include a couple cultures I had ordered.  No problem.  He had them shipping out the very next day.  I also like Cultures for Health... fast shipping and good customer service too.  I agree with you about NE Cheesemaking... great service and shipping, just limited in cultures.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
I realize this is an old thread, but just had to comment.  Cheesemaking.com does indeed have limited cultures, but what I find frustrating about them is that they don't label their cultures like everyone else does, and they're geared for rank beginners.  I do buy some supplies from them, but rarely cultures because so many of them already have rennet added and are one-time use.  Their recipes are great, but trying to figure out what culture to add if you don't buy their cultures is a real hassle.

amiriliano

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:30:45 PM »
Glengarry now has an order online  option (and even a phone app!)

Has there ever been a thread about how to convert NE Cheesemaking cultures (like C21) into loose cultures for recipes?

rosawoodsii

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 11:10:33 PM »
Not that I've seen.  Occasionally I'll go online and look at the ingredients in their cultures and compare them to other cultures and similar recipes.  They're definitely very proprietary in their offerings.  It seems like they don't want anyone to be able to convert their cultures to the competition's.

amiriliano

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 11:39:48 PM »
It's a smart business idea. Their free recipes only reference their cultures. I'll start a thread about it.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 01:44:24 AM »
A good business idea, yes, but not endearing.  If it weren't for that, I'd probably order from them more often.