Author Topic: Mary's First Baby Swiss  (Read 2385 times)

george

Mary's First Baby Swiss
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
Way back in the Stone Ages when I ordered my first bunch of cultures, I'd been thinking that I also wanted to make Swiss in addition to lots of other things.  Then I realized that I didn't really like it enough to bother, so all that PS just sat in the freezer being very very sad and lonely, watching all its little friends getting taken out and used, but never being invited to the party itself.   :'(

But a little while back there were quite a number of people posting about how they can't stand any sort of store-bought Swiss, but really liked what they made themselves.  So I said to myself "hmmmmmmmmm ...."  Handily, during all those discussions Sailor's original "My Baby Is Swelling" thread was referenced, so I went back and read it again.  The whole thing.  Then went back to the beginning, took the original recipe, and started adding notes to it from comments on every page.  Back to talking to myself, I mumble "Huh.  Now THIS looks like it's going to work!"

(Have attached a copy of this doc in addition to the pics.)

Well, y'all were right.  It was FANTASTIC.  Two things I will do differently:

1)  I over-washed it.  Because I ALWAYS overwash my washed curd cheeses.  I LIKE them that way.  But not so much with this.  It actually turned out almost TOO creamy for me - which is seriously saying something.  So next time we stick with the recipe wash amounts and don't go so nuts with it.

2)  Never ever again will I either a) make a Baby Swiss on a hot day; or b) take it out for its warm period and then forget that it's sitting there alone on a shelf in the kitchen when it's been well into the 90's for days and the poor thing is literally melting in its bag because I forgot it was there.  Ay yi yi.  So that's why you shall see a nice little flat disc in the pics.  DID get eyes, but they also got flattened when the poor thing melted.

Other than that, I am very very pleased with this, and Baby Swiss is now on my list of "make sure you make some regularly so you always have some on hand" cheeses.  Thank you Sailor and LB, yet again, you are still my absolute most fantabulous HEROES!!!  You share so much of your knowledge here and help us all, and I'm very very grateful.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Mary's First Baby Swiss
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:26:41 PM »
Boy, am I envious! Sexy Baby Swiss with all those eyes. Nice!

It does look like it's about to ooze off the plate.  :)

Never successfully made a Baby Swiss myself. Tried to early on and it was all acidic, hard, and crumbly. You inspire me to give another go, george. Sweet.

Again, very elucidating and entertaining discourse. Thanks for brightening up the forum threads. You da Ma'am!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »
You da Ma'am!

Okay, THERE is my first laugh of the morning.   ;D 

Definitely try the annotated recipe I posted, though - was ridiculously easy and I had absolutely no guesswork to do at all (except for the relatively ill-fated decision to over-wash this one).  Actually came out nicely considering it was in the cave for a week, out for only two weeks (which is when it started to melt), and then I think it was only 4 weeks (at most 5) after that when I cut it.  Very intense Swiss flavor, especially so young.  Still very happy about it.

jrhockey33

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:18:29 PM »
I am excited to try mine after seeing yours! Mine comes out of its 1 week in the cave for room temp. How did you age yours at room temp? sounds like sealed? I was going to put on a cheese mat and cover with large bowl with two ramikins of water in there to try to get humidity up, any thoughts?
Thanks!

george

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
I did it the lazy way (but then again I always do).  I put it in a vac bag but didn't suck all the air out, just sealed it.

jrhockey33

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
Great idea! thanks for the advice!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:04:42 PM »
That helps to keep critters away too!  :o

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

jrhockey33

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
Well i just might have ruined mine. The top had a tough/sharp edge from the press so i used a vegetable peeler to smooth it out and i got too much, could see a bit of paste, will this keep the gas from producing now? What was i thinking, should have done that prior to brine/air age. I just vacuum seeled it and have it in 69 degree room, hoping i didnt ruin the process :(

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »
If you screwed the pooch this time, there's always more milk out there. Make note and move on.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!