Author Topic: I Don't Usually Make Cheese on a Work Day but today - Montasio!  (Read 4890 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
This is another new one for me. I usedPeter Dicksons recipe and WalMart milk. I decided WalMart milk is wimpy but I had to go there to get freon for my AC and couldn't pass the milk cooler ... Besides it would have been my mothers birthday today so I celerbrated by making yet another cheese!

pamaples

Re: I Don't Usually Make Cheese on a Work Day but today - Montasio!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »
Very pretty! I can't wait till it cools off around here so I can start making cheese again.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:20:35 PM »
I did an experiment with these cheeses to see what would happen if ...

This recipe calls for brining the cheeses in cold brine like most do. Most things absorb salt faster when warm ...

What if we add the salt to the hot whey and soak the cheeses in it before we remove the cheese and press for the night? I did notice a few loose curds got really salty almost immediately so this may be a bad idea but it was a cheap batch so I won't cry to bad it's it's to salty.

First I packed the curds into the molds and set them into the sink, Then I  salted the whey with about 1.5 cups of salt and disolved it into the whey.  The I poured the whey over the curds which were already in the molds draining. Smelled really salty.

After pressing all night I removed the cheeses from the molds and put them in about a 10% brine bath. I will leave them there all day. Mostly because this was an afterthought and I don't think much salt got IN the cheese mostly on the outside of the cheese.

Now my understanding of brining based on my meat curing experiences is that the salt will reach a level of equalibrium in the meat or in this case the cheese after a period of time.  SO if there is to much salt on the outside and none on the inside it should balance eventually. Although my meats usually cure for a week to 10 days not a day. We shall see ...

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:24:39 PM »
great looking wheels Debi, and one of my favorite cheeses also!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »
Thank you. I love these molds and I think I have saved a small fortune on cheese cloth.

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:38:47 AM »
VERY NICE LOOKING!
So, what kind of molds do you have?  What size?  Where did you get them?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:38:29 AM »
Michelle

These cheeses were made in 3 to 3.5 kg gouda style kadova molds from Glengarry cheese. They will hold as little as half and still give a great press.

I also have her 450 gram and 1 kg gouda style kadova molds. They are great mold heavy duty and come with a removable nylon cheese cloth liner. Glengarry has the best prices for most molds.

I just ordered the 2 kg Edam style kadova molds from Fromage. I have been using a little swimming pool thingy for 1/2 pound Edam cheeses so this will be great!

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 01:46:35 AM »
Can you tell me the diameter of the cheeses that were made in the 3 - 3.5 kg mold?  Not sure how big your cutting board is that they are on...so having a hard time deciding their actual size.
Thanks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 03:12:14 AM »
Oh sorry Mia -
My cutting board is 24" across. I've been keeping the cheeses at about 7-1/2 inches across and 4 inches deep so they fit in my mini cave. I made one about a month ago that was 8 inches deep and it didn't fit well in the fridge so cut it in half. I have a little cube fridge like the kids use in the dorms.

I have a picture somewhere ... ah here it is back in March or April. Only two of those cheese left! Those were all made with the 450 gram kadova molds ;D

siegfriedw

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 01:11:48 AM »
Hi Debi,

You said "
I just ordered the 2 kg Edam style kadova molds from Fromage."

Can you give us a link. I'd like to checkout pricing.

BTW - I have my first Prosciutto hanging in a closet from last November - waiting to try it soon. ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 02:38:51 AM »
Congrats on the Prosciutto siegfried! That take alot of patience and care. My slightly big fridge is only big enough for one Prosciutto and a dozen small  salamis. This house gets to hot in the summer to hang it naturally but from the end of October to April my ex-computer room becomes the sausage/cheese/beer room.

http://www.fromagex.com/  is the link. I ordered the #ARO-270 (Edam mould 1500g/3.3 lb, 150 x 170mm). They are $26.96 each. I can't wait!

siegfriedw

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the link. I had seen Fromagex (Fromage had me confused)  before but had not ordered from them because they were in Canada and I had seen some not so good reviews.

Any problem with ordering and delivery time? Are you happy with service and pricing?

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:49:35 AM »
FYI, I made a summary post here on Kadova molds, has links to manufacturers website and another with volume and dimensional sizes.

Quebec Canada based Fromagex has I believe a US retailer, I know many people like them but I their website has many missing links etc and no prices so I have yet to order from them.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 03:56:02 AM »
When I enquired about pricing I got an email from Fromagex in chicago Il. They gave me the prices after about a week. I sent a check but haven't heard anything yet and they haven't cashed it that I can tell - so in a word I have no idea what kind of service other than REALLY slow. I am going to try to remember to cal them tomorrow and see if they even got the check yet.

siegfriedw

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
So is this whom you actually ordered from?

Servi Doryl USA

1442 W. Willow Street

Chicago, IL 60642