Author Topic: Manchego Acetite  (Read 2212 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Manchego Acetite
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:45:33 AM »
I was just reading about Manchego Acetite - aged in olive oil for a year or more. IN olive oil, not rind wiped. Must take a LOT of olive oil. Anyone here ever do one of these???

zenith1

Re: Manchego Acetite
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »
Hey Sailor- I have heard of that and in fact I believe that there are members here that do that also.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
Sailor, do a search for oil aging here.  One of the members posted quite a number of pics of cheese that he had aged for 3 years.  He didn't use olive though as it eventually gells.

I tried experimenting with a number of different aging processes, and I aged a jack and a provolone in olive oil for around four months.  The outside of the cheese gets a little soft, but just wipe that off.

Personally I thought that the oil prevented the cheese and rind from maturing, and thought that the oil seemed to "arrest" aging somehow.  Maybe this is one of those processes that requires long periods of time for the benefits to work.

Hope this makes sense.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:36:40 PM »
I remember reading about that here somewhere but I can not find it. I don't know why but I can never find anything using a forum search engine.

I'm not sure but I think John did something with olive oil awhile back.