Author Topic: New to Forum  (Read 4014 times)

MiaBella Farm

New to Forum
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »
Hello!

My name is Michelle and I own and operate a small dairy goat farm in New Caney, TX.

I sell Raw Goat Milk, Chevre and Handmade Goat Milk Soap off the farm.  I recently received my Grade A Raw for Retail Certification and am now learning to make hard cheese.  I found this forum and hope to obtain some helpful tips and share my experiences!

Cheese Head

Re: New to Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »
Hello Michelle and welcome to this forum, great to have another Texan here, especially one to NE of Houston, my family and I live in Katy, on West side of Houston (for those that don't know Houston, it's about 80 miles/130 km in diameter :o).

I have no clue on Raw Milk Certification but congrats! Lots of experienced raw goat's milk cheese makers here (& some soap makers too)!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:03:07 PM »
Welcome Michelle great place here and the folks are so friendly you'll feel right at home! I'll be looking to you and a few others soon when I finallu start playing with goat milk. Found a sorce finally an hour or so up the road.

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:32:30 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! 

John, I used to live in Katy and my brother still lives there.

Debi, feel free to ask anything about goat milk...I don't pretend to know it all, but know enough  :)

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
Deb,
You should be able to get milk from Beltane, no?  I think that's the closest producer to you, although they aren't cheap.  You might be able to find a backyard producer.  Try breeder listings.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
Deb,
You should be able to get milk from Beltane, no?  I think that's the closest producer to you, although they aren't cheap.  You might be able to find a backyard producer.  Try breeder listings.

Francois Beltane is the place I was going to get it from. How did you know? LOL Never thought to look for breeders. We have a few closer places with small herds but they aren't producing right now. A few places that used to sell milk are now producing artisan cheeses instead.

Do goats produce for shorter periods than cows? I just want to try my hand at making crottin. I ordered 12 little tiny crottin molds from Margarete at Glengarry last weekend now I just need the milk and cultures.

OKay first goat question ... is goat milk raw or pasteurized or is it both?

zenith1

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 10:19:30 PM »
Hi Michell,and welcome to the forum. My in-laws lived in Moulton for a spell. Sounds like you are on your way in the cheese making. This forum will probably be a big prop for you. Feel free to post away-there is a lot of good people and information here.

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:37:01 PM »
Francois Beltane is the place I was going to get it from. How did you know? LOL Never thought to look for breeders. We have a few closer places with small herds but they aren't producing right now. A few places that used to sell milk are now producing artisan cheeses instead.

Do goats produce for shorter periods than cows? I just want to try my hand at making crottin. I ordered 12 little tiny crottin molds from Margarete at Glengarry last weekend now I just need the milk and cultures.

Goats and cows can both produce for about 10 months (300 days). It's possible to prolong cow lactation for many months after that, but it's not a good idea health wise. Same with goats, and it wouldn't really be worth it with the lower volumes.

Goats have more naturally homogenized milk. Is that what you mean? Thermization of milk can happen on any kind of milk, making it no longer raw.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:44:23 PM »
It's a longer drive, but she is really cheap.  Try Cecile Beauchemin in Moosup CT )Cranska Road as I recall). She'll charge you $6 or $8 a gallon.  She's not lic. anymore but her milk is fairly clean.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:02 PM »
Moosup is actually only about 30 minutes from me. About the same milage wise as Beltane I think maybe a tad closer. I used to hang out in the thriving metropolis of Moosup as a teenager believe it or not. Nice friendly country folks.

I will definately try her first! Thanks hon!  {{{Hugs}}}

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 11:09:35 PM »
I found her email online. Apparently she is the president of the RI Goat Dairy Association. I didn't know there was one. I emailed her now hopefully she will answer. Thanks again!

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 01:15:46 AM »

Straight from the goat is it raw, but you can pasteurize it...in my opinion raw tastes better and is better for you...

If you are going to sell Chevre (legally) in the state of Texas, the milk has be be pasteurized first...UNLESS you are selling it directly from your farm...that is the important part.  Off the farm only, it can be raw.  You cannot sell raw Chevre at a Farmer's Market.  Now, you can sell aged cheese that is made from raw milk at a Farmer's Market, but you still have to have a Manufactured Food License.

Hope that answers your question.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 02:03:40 AM »
Good God, raw milk chevre is legal in TX?  You better make sure you hit your pH markers, or have good liability insurance.

MiaBella Farm

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 02:48:05 AM »
Good God, raw milk chevre is legal in TX?  You better make sure you hit your pH markers, or have good liability insurance.

You have to have a Grade A Raw for Retail license and you have to sell the cheese off your farm only....those are the stipulations.

My inspector tests my milk once a month, plus I send it off to a separate lab for testing, so I have no worries.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 03:26:51 AM »
okay so I am guessing that I will be able to get raw goats milk. I thought I read somewhere t was naturally pasteurized or something?