Author Topic: Rind Washing/Cleaning Tip: Gauze Swabs  (Read 1715 times)

silverjam

Rind Washing/Cleaning Tip: Gauze Swabs
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:30:14 AM »
Hi,

I just thought I would share a tip I am using that is very convenient for cheese where regular washing (e.g. Tilsit) is needed or spot cleaning of mould etc. I purchase packs of 100 gauze swabs from ebay. They are used for medical purposes but are simply 8 ply 'cheese cloth' squares. They are so cheap as well. They are therefore disposable. You don't need to worry about cross-contamination or washing old cheese cloth for simple tasks like washing rind. They are not the biggest squares so I am guessing you may need to use two or more if your cheese wheel is large and you are washing the whole rind. I simply use one swab per wash.

Silver Jam

anutcanfly

Re: Rind Washing/Cleaning Tip: Gauze Swabs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »
Good idea! Thanks for the tip!  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:48:11 AM »
Hey, timing is everything!

I had been using little squares of paper towel to wash my cheeses.

This morning I decided to break open a box of Johnson & Johnson gauze pads. They are 2inch x 2inch, sterile, and individually wrapped. They work a whole lot better and they are sterile.

Silver Jam, we seem to be riding the same wavelength.   8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
The sterile gauze swabs at my grocery were pricy, but the cotton swabs for removing makeup were much much cheaper and tougher, they are quilted.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
That's a good point about the possibility of built-in sterile additives in the gauze pads. I rather think that unless they say they're antiseptically enhanced they should just be good clean cotton gauze pads. Some folks might be allergic to something embedded in an otherwise empty pad.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.