Author Topic: Brevibacteria linens Application Methods  (Read 14476 times)

clherestian

Brevibacteria linens Application Methods
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
I have made a washed rind cheese with Peter Dixon's tallegio recipe. It is aging now. The next time I make a washed rind cheese, I would like to add b linens to get the orange rind. I have read that it is best to spray this on afterward instead of adding to the milk. does anyone have any experience either way? When do I spray? Also, what pice of equipment do I use to spray?

FRANCOIS

Re: Brevibacteria linens Application Methods
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
You can add to the milk after pasteurizing, but the most convenient method is to dose your brine.  After you remove from the brine and start washing, use a washing solution made with b. linens and a geo/yeast.  This will get your rind going in a matter days.  Wash with a rag, don't spray.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
'I tried mixing with the milk according to a Muester recipe in '200 Cheeses" and after 16 days I still have white cheese.

Next time I'm doing it Francois's way!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:46:13 PM »
We just did a trial for a new cheese, washed rind.  We dosed the brine, dunked the first 3 days then washed after that.  The room is quite humid and we shrouded the cheeses with plastic to keep them super wet.  After 14 days we had to wrap them and put them in the chiller as the b.linen rind was getting out of hand.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:11:49 PM »
I put mine in plastic boxes to keep them moist and nothing yet. I think the red rind is a goner!  :o Oh well I'll eat it anyway!

clherestian

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »
Francois -

Thanks for the tips. About dosing the brine - how much b linens do I add to the brine? I usually make 1-2 quarts of brine. After dosing, do I need to let the brine sit before I use it?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »
A pinch, maybe like 1/16 tsp.  It doesn't take much culture to get things growing.

LimburgerFan#1

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:02:21 AM »
Do any of yall know the minimum and maximum temp, and minimum and maximum humidity for aging Limburger cheese.

Zoey

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:46:08 AM »

I was going to ask a B.linens question too, but since there already was this thread, I'm leeching in, sorry clherestian.

So, I was just wondering, is there any way to extract the B.linens from a store-bought cheese? If I bought a Port Salut cheese or similar, and soaked the rind in my brine, maybe some B.linens would pass to the brine -> to my cheese? Anyone tried this?

Maybe I'll just try it, unless you vote against me. :)

What about my backup plan... if I don't get the B.linens growing, can I save the cheese by falling back to another ripening method?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:26:02 AM »
The best way to steal it is to wet a rag with brine, rub it on your Port S., then rub it on your cheese.  It works, but it's inconsistent.

Zoey

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:41:50 AM »

Thanks Francois, that sounds easy. :)

Hmm... sounds to me that this is the same thing they used to do in the monasteries... didn't I hear somewhere that they used to wash the older cheeses first, and then the younger, so the bacteria would spread?

So my main concern is, do they kill of the bacteria before packaging? Well, we'll find out soon, won't we.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 02:43:44 PM »
I do not pasteurize milk for Limburger, I age it at least 60 days. To all cheeses that need B.L., I allways add it to the milk and never had any problem, Of course washing regularly with brine. On the coming fryday I am going to cut a 2 months old Limburger to taste it. I intend to taste it in one and two more month again.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 11:48:13 PM »
B. Linens are not destroyed before packaging.  There are a few "dead" cheeses, like haloumi, but they are pretty rare. 

riha

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »
So, if one would go about making a solution with 3% salt and 1/16 tsp B Linens, how long is it usable?

Anybody tried this spreading the bacteria from another cheese (self-made or shop-bought) without inoculating with fresh (frozen) bacteria. Is there higher risk of contamination or some other downsides?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
I keep our solutions for weeks and weeks.  Basically until it starts getting really funky. 

Yes, you certinaly can spread micro from another cheese, it's done all the time.  You should always wash from old to new anyway, but I have also kept rinds from cheeses I liked and washed it back to new cheeses to duplicate.