Author Topic: Parmesan - Curdling Time Discrepancy  (Read 2157 times)

Sailor Con Queso

Parmesan - Curdling Time Discrepancy
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:47:49 AM »
Made Parmesan tonight from 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes. Great example of the discrepancies between the recipes and the flocculation (curdling)method taught by Peter Dixon. She calls for waiting 45 minutes after rennet. My flocculation was 12.5 minutes. Using Peter Dixon's method, the TOTAL curdling time was just 25 minutes. That's a 20 minute discrepancy from the recipe. That's HUGE. Almost a 50% difference in time. I had a fantastic curd set. Absolutely no reason to go the 45 minutes in the recipe.

zenith1

Re: Parmesan - Curdling Time Discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 01:37:51 PM »
I would stay with the flocculation method. It takes into account everything that the little chemistry experiment you are performing is doing. I use that method also, and my times are usually shorter than the recipes call for. Again, it takes into consideration everything that you are using-the type of milk, the temps, the amount and types of starters etc. If you are getting good curd formation with this method I would suggest you are on the right track.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 03:37:21 PM »
Yet another error in the 200 cheese book ... I wonder if she's actually made cheese? The basic recipes are okay but they're really open to interpretation and if you don't know what your doing who knows?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 04:49:29 PM »
Deb, That seems a little harsh. I don't feel that's exactly an "error" in her book, just a difference in approach.

My intent was to point out that the curdling (flocculation) time method is just a lot more scientific, accurate, and consistent. It takes into account a LOT of milk and environmental variables that simple time-based approaches can't adjust for. For example, I used fresh raw milk that was litterally less than 2 hours from cow to stock pot. The fact that it is raw AND was never refrigerated changes the dynamics considerably. (YES refrigerating does make a difference). Pasteurized store bought milk might fall in line exactly with her timing, or certainly much closer. Her recipe calls for low fat (2%) milk. After skimming cream etc., my milk was probably closer to 3.5%. Since she is using a lower fat milk, a longer curdling time always gives a little more moisture in the finished cheese and might give better curd volume. At 3.5%, I'm sure my Parm didn't need the extra time and moisture. My raw milk probably has a lot more calcium than a 2% pastureized, so my floc time is probably a lot quicker. In fact, since I have been using the curdling time method, I have cut my animal rennet by about 25%, and still get amazing curd set with raw milk.

I looked at several Parm recipes that used a similar curdling time as hers. I think "open to interpretation" is exactly what we SHOULD be doing anyway. Ultimately that's what makes us cheesemakers and not just side-order cooks blindly following a recipe. Add a pinch of this, a dash of that, heat to X, and stir until done - what's the fun in that???  ;D

YES... I'm sure she has made lots of cheese.  :D

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:41:48 AM »
For some of us that have been doing cheese for awhile it one thing but for newbies that are expecting to follow a recipe step by step it's frustrating.

Perhaps it was your choice of words that got me excited - discrepancy infers error.