Author Topic: Monterey Jack question?  (Read 3176 times)

mgable

Monterey Jack question?
« on: August 21, 2009, 12:36:24 PM »
I am getting ready to make some pepper jack cheese using the recipe from here. It calls for heavy cream and I just notice the one I bought is ultra pasteurized. Should I use it or will it ruin my cheese
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:53:48 PM by mgable »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Monterey Jack question?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »
Ultra pasteurizes milk products don't work for cheese. Don't use it.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
Alas-I again agree with Debi ;D I believe that the Jack recipe on the forum calls for the optional addition of the heavy cream. The recipes that I have used do not call for the heavy cream addition. I think you will be OK without adding it(it is probably a small quantity anyway,correct?)

mgable

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 06:01:50 PM »
I didn't get any responce back in time so I did add it. It was only 1 cup in 2 gallons of milk. I figured if that one cup didn't coagulate it wouldn't be a big deal. I did achieve a clean Break but it took about 2 and 1/2 hours. I am in the process of heating up to 100 degrees now. I hope it all turns out.
                               Mark

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
again, I think that you will be OK with that small a quantity of UP cream, but  2 1/2 hours to achieve a clean bear seems too long. How did you determine the break?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:04:13 PM »
Try to find non-homogenized milk (It's still pasteurized). You might have to go to an "organic" store like Whole Foods to find it. May be a little more expensive, but definitely worth it. Then you won't need the cream anyway.

mgable

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 08:15:57 PM »
I determined the break with a finger test. it may have been OK after an hour and a half but had a little residue staying on finger and the impression went right away after removing my finger. I had to run an errand so I let it sit another hour and it was better. This is all very new to me as I only have made the 30 min. mozzarella. It tasted really good but was not very firm. If I cut a piece out of my cheese that was in a Tupperware container it filled back in by the next day.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 05:34:05 AM »
I didn't get any responce back in time so I did add it. It was only 1 cup in 2 gallons of milk. I figured if that one cup didn't coagulate it wouldn't be a big deal. I did achieve a clean Break but it took about 2 and 1/2 hours. I am in the process of heating up to 100 degrees now. I hope it all turns out.
                               Mark

Adding cream to homogenized milk is a partial solution to make cheese from it. I am not shure, I've heard something like adding 1/2-1 cup of cream to 3 liters of milk.

zenith1

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
mgable-I'm interested in how your wheel finished up. Just for some added information try searching for the "spinning bowl method" of determining flocculation time here in the forum. I think that you will find it  easier than trying to use the clean break method.

mgable

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 11:51:42 AM »
here it is I think it looks good , it is about 5 inches tall and weighs about 2 lbs 5 ounces after 1 day of drying. I might split in to 2 pieces before waxing as I will be anxious to try some after about a month of ageing but will age the other 2 to 3 months. I hope it is good, at least it looks like cheese and this is a first for me  lol.
                                                                                    Mark

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »
Mark, looks great!

As I understand it you used regular store bought past & homogenized milk, not UP milk, it was just the cream that was UP. Store bought cream and Half & Half in USA is normally UP milk is just normally pasteurized.

I've used only UP Half & Half in my Cream Cheeses and they came out OK, but when I used only UP Goat's Milk in a Chevre I couldn't get a good curd set, at least with the amount of rennet I used.

I don't think the limited amount of UP cream you used (1 cup in 2 US gallons, ie 3%) was the cause of your long curd set time, may have contributed but not cause.

Bit late now bit if you give details of your ripening & rennet stages I'm sure some of members can help find reason for long curd setting time. Would help you on your next batch.

Alex

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »
here it is I think it looks good , it is about 5 inches tall and weighs about 2 lbs 5 ounces after 1 day of drying. I might split in to 2 pieces before waxing as I will be anxious to try some after about a month of ageing but will age the other 2 to 3 months. I hope it is good, at least it looks like cheese and this is a first for me  lol.
                                                                                    Mark

Mark, it looks fine, it's OK to divide it. Be sure you cut it horizontally, so you'll get two shorter cylinders.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 05:51:36 PM »
Looks very nice hon. I don't use cream in my Jacks but I may give it a try soon.