Author Topic: Hello to all Cheese-Lovers  (Read 2108 times)

Alex

Hello to all Cheese-Lovers
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »
[img]I am Alex from Haifa, Israel. I make all kinds of cheeses for a couple of years. Till now I was active on the other forum, from now on I hope to contribute here too and learn from you as well. As living in an apartment, the biggest batch I can make is 10 liters of milk. I use only raw milk (cows and goats). I endeavour to follow basic homemade procedures only, I don't use pH meter and as starter cultures, only yogurt and buttermilk.
Happy cheesing!

zenith1

Re: Hello to all Cheese-Lovers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
Hello Alex and welcome to the forum. If that is a picture of the cheese cave in your apartment, I think we should be coming to you for help ;D  That's a wonderful looking array of cheese. Do you make for only your family's consumption? Where in Israel to you live? I know that you mentioned fresh raw milk, that's a great thing to have access to. Over here in the states it's sometimes difficult to find a local source for raw milk. The government(both state and federal) have there regulatory hands all over that topic. Anyway, enjoy the forum-there are plenty of good people here!

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »
Hello Alex and welcome to this forum. I think you are our first in Israel. Agree, great looking bunch of cheeses! Good thing there is no blue in there ;).

Looking forward to your advice and input, especially on some in your picture that I have never even heard of :o.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »
Till now I was active on the other forum, from now on I hope to contribute here too and learn from you as well.

What is "the other forum", if you don't mind my asking?
--
Michael Dow

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 04:55:26 AM »
Welcome Alex. Nice lookings cheese you have there!

Alex

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »
Thanks for the warm wellcoming to all

To Zenith1: Actually the cave is not in my apartment, but in a common store of all the condominium's occupants. It's a medium sized old fridge, connected through an external thermostat. The humidity is maintained by an ultrasonic humidifier. You all are truly invited to me especially for a cheese party. I live in the beautyfull city of Haifa. Cheese making is a hobby of mine, so i make cheese only for the close family ring. Raw milk: I know I am lucky, I have access to a farmer some 15 km away from Haifa, a very good friend of my brother in law. We have here same strict regulations, so we have to be very carefull, hoping the Israeli government's milk council is not quoting to this forum 8)

To John: Nice to be first :-[. Fortunately, we don't like "blues", so....

To sominus: I sent you a personal message.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:16:23 AM »
Alex, good man!

Great to see an aggressive cheese maker that's commandeered half of the condo unit's members fridge as a cheese cave ::)!

OK, all jesting aside, I assume there is another fridge for others in your condo complex to put regular fridge stuff in? And when you say "we" (don't do blues so no contamination), who is we? Maybe others in Haifa want to join ;D and thus you you wouldn't be the only one.