Author Topic: Goat milk gouda question  (Read 1845 times)

rlatta

Goat milk gouda question
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
I basically used the recipe on the forum but took some additional tips from a few posts and the Ricki Carroll book.
My goat milk when it hit temp measured 6.44.
One post I saw recommended
**You are looking for a whey Ph of 6.4 to 6.45 before moving to next step
At Ph 6.4 – 6.45 Drain 5 cups of whey and replace with 5 cups of 130 degree water.**

By the time I get a .1 drop for the culture activity I am already below that point.
What effect will the extra acidity cause?
I am pretty sure this cheese will turn out badly anyway, between using the ma011 culture instead of the mm100 and doing four washes instead of three hoping to move away from acidity. I am just hoping to get some pointers for my next batch.
On the plus side, my son will eat just about anything remotely cheese like (he ate a cracked dry cheddar that was only a few days old and was slated to be cut up for dog treats).
Thanks for any help.
I am pretty sure this one is a wash anyway

linuxboy

Re: Goat milk gouda question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:09:49 PM »
Goat's milk is more acidic, pH targets are different. You're fine so long as you drain completely before you hit about 6.2. If you overacidify before starting to wash, what you can do is use a higher volume of water, which you did.

MM100 will just give you a more flavorful cheese. MA11 is somewhat bland in gouda.

There's nothing really wrong with your process, seems fine. Not sure what other help to give you because I don't know the full details of your process or amounts.

rlatta

Re: Goat milk gouda question
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
Thanks.
That was very  helpful.
Now, I won't resent the small round of cheese every time I look at it.
There is hope for it yet.