Author Topic: Curd Cutter - Wayne's Build  (Read 25563 times)

wharris

Re: Curd Cutter - Wayne's Build
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 03:51:50 PM »
It works beautifully. You can see it being used in the following video.  (Skip to 5:01)
Homemade Parmesan

Minamyna

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
That is awesome! 8) What a setup you have there!! Is there a reason you chose that over get a cheese vat?

TroyG

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 01:33:20 PM »
Where did you get that whisk?

coffee joe

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »
As I read more posts, I find more questions.
Great curd Cutter Wayne, I am knocking it off using a SS yard stick and SS wire we use for our bee nests.
What do you use for milling those large amounts of Curd?
I tried Sailor's Egg Crate idea and made the mill below using those principles and then wove same SS wire.
This works fine for small amounts, but I can see that when I have a 100 or 300 liter batch, it is going to take too long to mill slabs with this.
Is there a mechanical cheddaring mill available for this scale?

Also, my first 2.5Kg Cheddar about ready to vacuum. 

Lee

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 01:27:00 AM »
If anyone is looking for a small scale curd cutter I use a stainless steel cake rack, it fits my 10 liter pot neatly, cuts horizontally, then vertically and finally push it down from the top. Three swipes & its done. Might be able to get bigger ones in catering shops. I know its not as sharp as wire but if the curd is firm it works.
Lee

FarmerJd

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 03:20:43 AM »
Coffee Joe, Linuxboy posted a nice commercial mill in a thread somewhere. I am sure it would be under the cheddar forum. I'll look and see if I can find it. When we mill our 24 gallon batches, it is "all hands on deck". My five oldest kids and my wife and I all brandishing knives. We look like seven samurai trying to mill the curd before it cools.  ;D

linuxboy

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 04:18:32 AM »
You mean the manual one I posted, JD? Jaap Jongia, who now posts here, makes that manual one :)

FarmerJd

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:32 AM »
I can't remember but I think that was it. Do you still have the link?

coffee joe

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 01:01:56 PM »
The manual "Curd Mill"in the photo above is a knockoff of Jaap Jongia's with some input from Sailor's egg crate etc and does a great job for a 25 liter batch. Even the double 50 liter batch we managed ok. I'm wondering if there is a small true mill that I could crank or even motorized for when I get to 50Kg+/batch of curds. The ASTA  big electric unit is way too big and $5500.

I'm trying to figure out a long term solution to a future problem!

FarmerJd

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »
Here is the thread I was talking about. I want something like the lady in the pic Wayne posted is using. Where do you find that? Isn't that what you are looking for?

linuxboy

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »
Joe, those motorized mills do get rather expensive. Cheapest I've seen one is around $1,500 for an older unit that needed a good cleaning job. Maybe you could find one from a surplus/used dairy supplier like Ullmers?

coffee joe

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »
Farmer's link as posted above is the nuts!
This is what I am looking for as well, now to figure out where to get one!! or the plans

linuxboy

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
It's a basic hammer mill design in a small form factor using disks instead of hammers. Maybe I can dig up some measurements for you. IMHO, less work to buy a used one.

FarmerJd

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »
Is this the one in the pic Linux?

coffee joe

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 05:58:53 PM »
Well done Farmer, now to figure out how to get one to Brazil!!

Here is how our girls  do "milling" today.