Author Topic: How many here use beeswax to wax their cheeses?  (Read 21927 times)

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

How many here use beeswax to wax their cheeses?
« on: August 22, 2009, 06:42:04 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on this forum uses beeswax for cheese waxing, I have found a good cheap supply from a local apiary- one quarter of teh price of petroleum based wax. So far, the beeswax has adhered very well, but I am unsure if it will suit cheeses that "swell" a bit such as swiss?

goatherdess

Re: How many here use beeswax to wax their cheeses?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:28:14 AM »
I don't have experience using it on cheese. But I do know that it is added to herbal oils to stiffen them up into ointments. Perhaps the opposite would also be true, that you could soften it with a small amount of oil to make it more flexible. I always wanted to work with beeswax, but could never find a good source. Lucky you! :)

FRANCOIS

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 07:03:40 AM »
I have used it.  I had all kinds of cracking issues, had to cut it with mineral oil to get it more plastic.  It made a mess when when cut.  I thought it was more trouble than it was worth and stopped doing it.

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:21:44 AM »
Thanks Francois, how long after waxing your cheese did the beeswax start cracking? I love the smell in my cool fridge now, a lovely honey aroma so was hoping to continue to use it, no cracking issues yet, (after two months) maybe I have been lucky

Tea

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:24:16 AM »
I have used bees wax, and I waxed a jack, so I didn't have any swelling problems.  For me I found is worked just as well as ordinary wax, only I should have used a hot knife when I cut into it, as the bees wax cracked everywhere.

For the moment though, I have decided to let most of my cheese's develop a natural rind, rather than wax.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:37:16 AM »
Some wouldn't even take wax without cracking instantly.  Once I started cutting with mineral oil they took wax much better but were still fragile while aging.  I was using capping wax, not sure what wax you have access to.

Tea

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »
Francois, not sure if this question was for me, but I use pure yellow bees wax, and coloured cheese wax.
When you say capping wax, I am assuming that you mean wax used to seal canning jars/wine bottles?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:45:47 PM »
Actually I mean cappping wax as in wax the bees produce for capping honey.  The wax throughout the hive varies slightly and cappign wax is the premium stuff.

Tea

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »
Ahh yes, my mistake.  I also make my own bath and body products, and I buy bees wax in 10kg blocks.  I will have to enquire if I am able to get just capping wax and see what difference find.
Many thanks.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 03:33:13 AM »
If you source it from a local bee keeper it will most likely be entirely capping wax.  Actuall

Tea

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 06:51:05 AM »
Yes I do source it from a local bees keeper.  I mainly use the honey for mead.

bkauffman

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 04:50:20 AM »
I am very new to cheesemaking but I do have beehives and therefore a source of wax.  Aesthetically I would far prefer to use the beeswax if possible.  Is there any reason, assuming I can get good coverage without obvious cracking, that it would negatively affect the cheese? Also, how about mixing a bit of the cheesewax with beeswax? Finally, how much mineral oil should I use to cut the beeswax? 

Thanks all... very psyched to find this discussion board!

Berkeley

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 04:32:27 AM »
Hi,

I realise this topic is very old, but it seems silly to start a new thread.  Here's a recipe I've found (but haven't tried) for "cheese wax" made out of bees wax.

CHEESE WAX (Ounces by weight):
13.5 ounces beeswax
2.5 ounces vegetable shortening

Heat the ingredients in an oven at 200 degrees F. until combined. Remove the wax from the oven and wait for it to reach 160-180 degrees F. Dip the cheese and remove it with one quick, smooth motion. Repeat this step until the wax is about 1/16th of an inch thick.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 10:35:14 PM »
I got 2 pounds of beeswax as a gift,
Since we dont have vegtable shortening (I assume this is palm oil or sometimes of this sort?)
Can one use margarine?   It contains vegtable oils,hardened veg oils,emulsifiers (lechitin),E471 (gylicerol family fatty acid),E435(a type of fatty acid),flavour\aroma additives,D+A vitamins.

Something tells me its no good, too much additives.  What should it be substitute with?
Im thinking lard but some of my friends keeps kosher and I dont want to use pork or mix dairy with meat products.

sstrantz

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 11:15:05 PM »
I'm also interested to know if coconut oil would work for the veg oil.  It is solid at temperatures below 70 and begins to liquify somewhere around 73 I believe.  I would LOVE to make wax that would work from bees wax mixture if it will work!