Author Topic: How To Buy Large Milk Volumes At Grocery Stores  (Read 7403 times)

Cheese Head

How To Buy Large Milk Volumes At Grocery Stores
« on: August 22, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »
OK, I feel embassed enough going through the checkout with 4 US gallons/15.2 liters of milk, and I do get a couple of looks, not that I really care.

But then along comes Wayne who today is going for his first monster 24 US gallon batch.

So my question to Wayne and others is, how do you do it? Do you say nothing, tell them it's for a milk bath, tell them it's for a work camp, or just tell the truth that it's for cheese making?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: How To Buy Large Milk Volumes At Grocery Stores
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »
Every time I buy 4 to 9 gallons they ask me if I have 2 kids or something. I tell them I am making cheese and they look at me like I am from another planet.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »
LOL,  I have used the "Wife wantes a milk bath" line.  Twice.
(much to the continued mortification of my nearby wife)

I get the usual "Someone's thirsty" commments from the chechout girl.

Bottom line is some care,  some dont. 
If I explain it. and tell them we are making cheese, I think i get on the checkout girl's "He's a wierdo" mental list.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:33:41 PM »
24 gallons in the vat...

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »
Yeah Wayne, there you go, have a great day!

BauerHaus

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:11:28 PM »
It took a couple minutes but I now see the five white canisters as what they really are, heaters. But then the question arises are they home made or off the shelf?

How are you controlling them, turning them on and off manually? How many circuit breakers have you added to the house panel to handle five (X) watt  heaters?

I used to build a primitive electrical control system for foil embossing and I used a process controller. Wish I still had one of those around still.

wharris

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 06:24:33 PM »
I would look at this thread and follow it down....

You are right they are heaters,  I have 10K watts of heat over 5 seperate 20amp circuits.  These are controlled by GFCI circuits and simple switches. 
I built it all myself.

wharris

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
I shared this thread with my wife, and she gave me the look... (as if to say sheesh, that's nothing....)

She said try doing this:  Go to the pharmacy an ask for 2 dozen Feminine Hygiene products.  (douches)
That will raise some eyebrows...

(we had a couple dogs tangle with a skunk)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 04:22:05 AM »
I have to say your wife has a very good point there!  ;D

riha

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 04:39:43 PM »
I am just envious for you guys for having one gallon jugs of stuff. The largest pack of milk there is in my local store is 1.5 liters (that's a bit less than 0.4 gallons).

Plus, $1.89 per gallon?! I want free milk as well. *sigh* I am so very envious.

While I have not bought huge loads of milk yet (12 liters at a time tops), I have bought big batches of apple juice for cider making and haven't got any looks. They probably think I'll be making hooch, but hey, I don't care  ;D

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »
riha, if I remember you are in Finland, guess the Fin's don't drink much mlk thus reason for no 3 liter jugs . . . low prices here in US as recession, they were more commonly USD3.5 1 year ago, that said the US does have an extremely efficient distribution system.

And as stores are big, you can get some really big shopping carts that would easily fit 24 US gallons/91 liters of milk ;D.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 05:31:06 PM »
Hey Wayne,
Go big or go home!
The setup looks great (although perhaps a bit S&M with all the chains in the basement).
We won't start to worry until someone finds you looking in your cave and saying, "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again".
Cheers and keep us up to date on this cheese
CC

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
And as stores are big, you can get some really big shopping carts that would easily fit 24 US gallons/91 liters of milk ;D.

One of my forum members from Canada says they pay $4/3 liters in the stores too.. Maybe that's a popular size in metric countries? He says it's $5 for 3.8 liters= gallon!

I think one reason we pay less is government subsidies. They also regular the prices. I hear the subsidies are down though.

Baby Chee

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 01:27:16 AM »
I've been purchasing gallons at Sam's Club for $2.78/Gallon this week.  Cheap, but not too cheap.  I wish I had $2 gallons!  Inquiring at local Ma-Pa's, milk was $4.99 a gallon!!  WOAH!  Too steep.

They haven't been saying anything, despite having a 10 and 14 gallon parade going on.  It's probably expected from a big outlet like Sam's.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 01:54:58 AM »
Baby Chee if you find a good supplies for raw milk ... I use my beer kegs for milk jugs - no deposit on the bottles or the hassle of keeping up with them. I swapped out the beer line dip tube for shorter CO2 line dip tube. Easier to clean. If I drop them off day before she bottles I get $2 off per gallon.