Author Topic: Wayne's Cheddar: 082209  (Read 9206 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Wayne's Cheddar: 082209
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
WOW! That's great. Free is a word I really like!

siegfriedw

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
Wayne - with volumes like this are you planning on gong commercial?

wharris

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
Yes and no.
Yes, in that I can see myself with a sign out front selling my cheese

No, in that the original intent of the larger size is to get more lbs of cheese per weekend.
My wife did not like the fact that I was spending every weekend in the basement shop working on cheese or  wine stuff.
So the compromise was that I would make more per batch, but make fewer batches.  Thereby I would make the same amount of cheese, but would have more time for the 'honey-do' list.

But yes,  someday I would like to sell my cheese.

chilipepper

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 04:01:00 PM »
Wayne,

You have such a cool setup!  I love it and it makes me chuckle.  There is some sort of medieval look about the size of those pots and the chain... too cool!

Congrats on the monster cheese and I'm really looking forward to seeing how those giant wheels turn out. 

Good to hear Extech took care of you on the meter.  I've been really pleased with mine so far.  However it has spent more time in the mash tun then in the cheese vat lately.  The probe for my pH meter has a little o-ring sealed jar that you slide over the end of the electrode and fill it with buffer solution for long term storage. Does yours have something similar?

Anyway good to see the cheese monster in action...

Ryan

wharris

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
Good to hear from you.  Yeah my pH meter does have that.  Problem was that  I totally dropped the ball and did not ensure that the cap was moist with solution.  I paid the price.

But yeah, the setup look and feel I was going for was a post-modern 'Spanish Inquisition'.  I think I achieved that.

I'm about done with cheese for a month or so.  I put my order in for Grapes, Harvet is in two weeks.  I bought 1000lbs of California Cabernet grapes from a local winery that ships in about 80tons. They need about 40 tons for themselves and other guys like me buy into the shipment.   

So I am busy getting my primary fermenters / Grape press / equipement in order, clean and sanitary.  So no time for  Cheese for the next month...

chilipepper

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:25 PM »
Wayne, you could really have a fun Halloween setup there... Maybe a witch drowning or  at least some serious brew! ;)

I'm so envious of the winemaking skills... I can brew beer until the cows come home but wine eludes me for some reason. Course in ND access to grapes is an issue especially vitis vinifera.  I've tried kits and I somehow can screw those up too.  I may have to try and get back on that horse one of these days.  I'd certainly have to do some major research before taking that one on.

Anyway, back on subject... how long do intend on letting this one age? It is always a tough decision when you try something new.  What is your feel for how well it knit together with that big a wheel? 

Ryan

wharris

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »
I will not touch this till aug/2010.

I have similar thoughts on beer. 

chilipepper

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 02:58:41 PM »
I have similar thoughts on beer.

;)  May have to revisit our trade agreements we discussed a while back!

Are you waxing this monster or what are your plans for the rind?

Ryan

wharris

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »
agree on the trade.

I am not gonna wax this.  I am gonna try and work a natural rind.  At the moment I have a combination of things going on.  Every week or so, I shmear (yes shmear) a combination of lard and salt on the rind to keep it from cracking deeply and from growing over with mold.
I would like to taper this off as the rind thickens and becomes more "stable"

next August, when this is done, I will remove the rind, portion it up, and then wax.
I will keep some and give some away.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
It's good to have a solid "point man", willing to take the lead and point the way for others who may follow in his path.  8)

I am in awe of such a masterpiece. I didn't see any mention of weight. How heavy was it when you flipped it and rewrapped it when pressing? 20 pounds? Was it fairly firm?

Definitely gives us all an additional incentive to pursue our ultimate cheese.

Thanks, Wayne.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

cmharris6002

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
WOW Wayne!!! Your set up is fantastic and your cheese looks wonderful. You're the guru of big cheese ;D

Christy

wharris

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 08:09:07 PM »
Well, I too was inspired by the likes of Carterisum and others here.

After wine season is over.  I plan to crank out 1 or two a month.
Parm, Gouda, Swiss havardi and Cheddar

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »
It's a beautiful thing for sure!

FarmerJd

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 11:53:53 PM »
I just found this thread, Wayne and it is so neat to see someone else attempting this at home. I have a million questions so I hope I don't overload you. What does the cacl do? I have never used it in a cheddar recipe. how much weight and how long is the arm? I really want to use my 12 inch hoop so my cheese won't be so tall but it doesn't press well enough with all the weight I can put on it. The salt and the annatto are about the same as I use in my 24 gal batch. My cheddaring process is different though. I put the curds directly in a customized cooler held at an angle with a light built in to the top for heat. After seeing your pics I think I am going to add the screen below like you have. I let the curds mat and then cut them into 1 inch slabs and re-stack them every 15 min. I read that the weight of the stack helps the acidity develop. Then I cut the curds into 3/4" cubes and salt them and press. I saw the pic of your milk and laughed out loud! I can't imagine buying milk and experimenting like I have.:D I have thrown away so many batches trying to get good at it. No wonder you are so meticulous. I am very impressed. I am showing my kids your pics right now and they are as amazed as I am. i also like your knife. I called today to order custom knives because I have used a machete for years and am tired of cutting the grid!

FarmerJd

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2009, 12:22:43 PM »
Never mind about the CaCl. I just read that it is because you are not using raw milk.