Author Topic: My First Pepper Jack  (Read 3450 times)

Alex

My First Pepper Jack
« on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:09 PM »
I am going to make my first hard cheese a peper Jack and am wondering about the cheese cloth. Do you sanitize it and use it while it is still wet?

I do the same as John said. Never had any contamination until now. It's good to wet the cloth (preferable with hot whey), it will be easier to set it into the mould.

Have some pics from my first one:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:42:07 PM by Alex »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
My First Pepper Jack
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 04:44:19 AM »
Your cheese looks lovely Alex!

zenith1

My First Pepper Jack
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:14:23 PM »
very nice looking wheel-and what a wax job. I'm salivating looking at that picture. I wish my wife liked peppers, but it is like asking her to stick her tongue in a vat of melted wax-ain't gonna happen  ;D

Alex

My First Pepper Jack
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
very nice looking wheel-and what a wax job. I'm salivating looking at that picture. I wish my wife liked peppers, but it is like asking her to stick her tongue in a vat of melted wax-ain't gonna happen  ;D

First each surface dipped in the wax 3-4 times and then the side rolled several rounds. No brush work at all.

The raw peppers were really hot when mixed with the curds, but I can assure you (and your wife) she will be surprised how mild the taste is, my 8 years old grandson likes this cheese a lot, give it a try. I wish you could taste it.

Alex

My First Pepper Jack
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 03:53:06 PM »
Your cheese looks lovely Alex!

Tnx Debi, it even tastes better  :D

zenith1

My First Pepper Jack
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 06:56:11 PM »
Alex- appx how much peppers to how much milk in your recipe? I can always eat it all myself  ;D

Alex

My First Pepper Jack
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:43:30 PM »
Alex- appx how much peppers to how much milk in your recipe? I can always eat it all myself  ;D

This wheel is about 1.2 kg made of 10 liters of raw unpasteurized cows milk. It contains 1 green and 1 red hot pepper about 4-5 in long. I threw the seeds away but left the white vanes and cut the peppers to about 2 mm squares.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: My First Pepper Jack
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 04:08:50 AM »
Looks very tasty and I am clean out of Pepperjack. Maybe next week. I need to make shelves to rearrange my mini cave first.

goatherdess

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:27:26 AM »
I like the way you mixed the red & green together to get a two-color effect.

Dunnes

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:49:32 AM »
did you use the jack recipe on this website? Just wondered how much starter culture you used, i have the butter milk but not exactly sure how much to use.

Its not very clear on the website or packaging.

Cheers
Mike

Alex

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »
Hello Mike and wellcome to the forum,

I use a store bought buttermilk, the freshest possible, 4-5 weeks exp date. It contains: streptococcus lactis, lactococcus cremoris, lactococcus diacetylactis and leuconostoc.

This is the basic recipe I used (mine wheel is a 10 liters batch):

Monterey Jack Cheese
Ingredients - American
    3.8 liters whole Cow's Milk.
    Optional: 1/2 cup/150 ml Heavy Cream (I didn't use, I use raw milk).
    Mesophilic Starter Culture of your choice.
    Optional: Calcium Chloride if using pasteurized milk, amount depending on type.
    Rennet diluted in 1/4 cup/50 ml water, amount depending on package directions and your experience with that brand.
    2 grams & 18 grams non-iodized Salt.
    Optional: Finely diced Garden Herbs or Horseradish or Habanero Chili or Jalapeno Chili.
Directions
1.   Combine milk, optional cream and diluted calcium chloride in a stockpot or double boiler and heat to 31°C.
2.   Add Mesophilic-A starter culture, whisk in thoroughly, allow the milk to ripen for ~45  minutes.
3.   Stir 2 gram salt into the diluted rennet.
4.   Increase the temperature of the milk to 32°C. Stir the salt-rennet solution gently into the milk.
5.   Allow the milk to set, covered, at 32° C for ~60 minutes or until the milk has set into a firm curd with a clean break.
6.   Using a long bladed stainless steel knife cut the curd into ~1 cm cubes. Let the curds set for ~10 minutes.
7.   Place the stockpot into a second pot of 38° C water or in a sink filled with 38° C water and indirectly heat the curds to 38° C by increasing the temperature no faster than 1° C every 5 minutes. This should take ~30 minutes, stir the curds gently but frequently during this cooking period to keep the curd pieces from matting together.
8.   Maintain the curds at /38° C for an additional ~30 minutes stirring every several minutes to keep the curds from matting.
9.   Do not stir for ~5 minutes to allow curds to settle, then pour off the whey down to the level of the curd.
10.   Allow the curds to set for 30 minutes stirring every ~5 minutes to prevent matting.
11.   Pour the curds and whey into a cheesecloth lined colander and allow remaining whey to drain.
12.   Sprinkle 18 gram of salt and optional garden herbs, jalapenos etc over the curd and gently mix by hands.
13.   Press curds in cheesecloth lined mold with 2 kg for ~15 minutes.
14.   Remove the cheese from the press and cheesecloth, flip cheese, replace, and press with  4-5 kg for ~12 hours.
15.   Remove the cheese from the press and cheesecloth, lightly apply brine (15 gram salt in 0.5 cup/100 ml of water) wash to outside of cheese.
16.   Place the cheese on a drying mat and air dry for 1-3 days at room temperature turning over twice each day.
17.   Wax cheese when starts to form a yellowish rind and is dry to the touch.
18.   Age waxed cheese ~13° C for 1-4 months; turn the cheese over daily for the first month and 2-3 times a week thereafter to ensure even ripening.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:10:51 PM by Alex »

Dunnes

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
thanks form your help alex, do you remember how much buttermilk/started culture you used? this is my current sticking point

Cheers
Mike

Alex

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »
The buttermilk brand I use, I put 1 ts for 1 liter of raw milk.

Dunnes

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
oooh bugger just realised i used tablespoons instead pf teaspoons, ah well think this batch of cheese was doomed from the start... Mrs knocked over the first lot of buttermilk and its gonna be a bit of a rush tonight to get it finished.

Will be a miracle if it works