Author Topic: Dego Cheese Making Recipe?  (Read 4124 times)

MrsKK

Dego Cheese Making Recipe?
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:51:58 AM »
Not sure if this is where I should post this, but am sure it will get moved to where it belongs - TIA!

A co-worker today was asking me if I had ever heard of "Dego cheese".  Her Italian-Cajun stepfather used to make it when she was a little girl - younger than ten, I guess.  He has since passed away and she doesn't have a source for the recipe, but she would like to make it again.  Here is what she remembers:

They used 3 gallons of milk and a Junket rennet tablet.  She said they "boiled the milk" then added the rennet.  She remembers draining the cheese in cloth, then making it into a disk and coating it with salt.

Any input or suggestions on what variety of cheese this might be would be appreciated, as she woluld like to recreate it.

Thank you!

linuxboy

Re: Dego Cheese Making Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:53:24 PM »
Never heard of it, but it seems like a basic rennet coagulated fresh cheese. Does she remember starter being added?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 01:38:58 AM »
When I was a kid the "other" people called riccotta dego cheese.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:54 AM »
Karen, I'm awake in middle of night, so this post.

When I grew up in Canada, Dago was a slang name for an Italian that I rarely heard, since then I've learnt that it's derogatory like more common and I think more derogatory Wop. Good news is I very rarely hear those offensive type terms anymore.

So I think it basically "Dego Cheese" means Italian Cheese, which is very nondescript.

Then again there is a small town in Italy called Dego, maybe that stepfather was from there and it's a cheese from that region that he knew how to make? Looking at this cheese "map", it could be Formaggetta or more probably Cagliata as that looks like a very basic cheese like your method above?

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:32:02 PM »
She was so young, she really doesn't remember details, so I don't know if she would know if there was culture added or not.

I know that I was uncomfortable with the term, but she said that was the name he used for it and he was Italian-Cajun.  He wouldn't have been from that region, as he was born and raised in Louisiana Cajun country.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
I was going to mension that dego to an Italian person was like using the N word for a black person when I grew up but I guess it is not used anymore. I do remember being called a dego as a kid by another kid and didnt' know wha it was. When I repeated it at home I got to eat soap for an after school snack. I still don't know what it really means but I'm not taking any chances either!  ;D

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 01:21:37 PM »
Stephanie wants me to apologize if we have offended anyone.  She is also Italian, but never had the word used in a derogatory way against her.

I have searched for both of the cheeses John mentions, but have not been able to come up with any recipes, unfortunately.  Maybe she can talk to family and try to remember more so I can re-create something for her.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:01:33 AM »
I've asked around to the remaining members of my Italian family and no one knows what this is - sorry. This is the only thing I could come up with.

http://www.flixya.com/video/346352/Cooking_With_the_Pan_-_Dego_Cheese_Recipe

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »
Thanks, Debi.  Steph is on vacation right now, so it will be about 2 weeks until I see her again.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 03:57:39 AM »
Your welcome! I hope this comes close to what she is looking for but nothings is ever as good as your loving memory!

MrsKK

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »
I think that video is for Italian-type grilled cheese sandwiches, but I'm just copying down websites for her to check into.  In searching for Cagliata cheese, I found an interesting site, but no recipes:
http://home.comcast.net/~suzyq9/QuagliataNameOrigin.html  Interesting historical info regarding the surname “Quagliata”.

No luck whatsoever in searching for Formaggetta...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 12:26:05 AM »
Cagliata means curd in Italian. Maybe she is looking for riccotta? We use it for everything from lassagna to canoli main dish to deserts or just eatting with a spoon.

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »
Not from the description she gave me, as he used Junket rennet tablets.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 04:27:24 AM »
I am leaning towards a soft cheese maybe she can shed more light. How about Crescenza? It kind of like a cream cheese but ts an ripened for about a week. It's spreadable but it's actually made like regular cheese with rennet and curds cutting and all.