Author Topic: Brine Salted Cheeses: Brine Temperature  (Read 1052 times)

Offline John (CH)

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 60
Brine Salted Cheeses: Brine Temperature
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:59:46 AM »
My last three cheeses (Gouda's and a Havarti) were all Brine Salted cheeses. Most recipes call for using a saturated brine which is easy to make and maintain, but no guideline on brining temperature. For the first one I waited for the fresh saturated brine to cool to my current room temperature (78F/25.6C as set by AC here in Houston), after which I stored saturated (excess salt still on bottom) brine in household fridge in plastic jug. For second and third cheeses I used fridge cold brine but left the brining cheese on countertop, so warmed quickly to room temperature.

Last night I was reading "American Farmstead Cheese" and the author says on brine temperatures:
  • Ideally, the brine temperature should remain constant and for most cheeses should fall between 50-60F/10-14C.
  • Increased brine temperatures result in 1) a increase in salt uptake and larger increase in cheese moisture loss and 2) a larger range of microorganisms, including spoilage and pathogens, being able to survive and proliferate.
  • Lower brine temperatures are problematic for rinded cheeses because less moisture is lost from the surface of the cheese, making it difficult to develop a suitable rind. Unripened pasta-filata cheeses (ie mozzarella) are an exception to this rule, as cold brining them is essential to achieve rapid cooling and avoid excessive moisture loss.

So in future, I am going to store my brine in my cheese cave and brine my cheeses in my cheese cave rather than on warm kitchen counter top.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.