Author Topic: Just attended an outstanding Cheese Presentation  (Read 2789 times)

merlin

Just attended an outstanding Cheese Presentation
« on: June 20, 2008, 06:51:07 PM »
I had to get on and tell you all about one of the best cheese presentations I've ever attended.  We had one of our vendors come in today and do a presentation on presenting resturants with cheese plates.  I'm ready to die I just ate so much good cheese.  We started with some great goat cheese from Vermont Butter & Cheese, great young, creamy with a touch of tangyness.  From their we sampled some aged bijou crottin, from Vermont Butter & Cheese.  This little bomb had a great rind and barn yard flavors.  Next up was some imported brie for Marquis De Lafayette, good but just not the same when you get to taste the stuff that is in France, sucks the government doesn't let the US bring the same quality in.  St. Andre was up next.  One of the greatest Triple Creme you could ever try here in the US.  At 70% butter fat just woderful, highly recomend anyone who enjoys  these types of cheeses.  We followed this up with Petit Basque.  This is a great sheep milk cheese produced in the Perinys area.  Very silky texture with a great mountain air and pasture taste.  Then we moved onto some of the harder cheeses.  We tried the Roth Private Reserve, which is a domestic Gruyere type cheese made in WI and aged for about a year.  From their we sampled a 12 month aged Piave Stravecchio.  Its an Italian Cheese with a lot of the same qualities as a Parm but a little cheaper.  Funny, in Italy this is just a scrape cheese but here in the US its starting to gain in popularity.  I'm thinking this will be the next Asiago for us here in the US.  Next was the 3 year aged Rembrandt Gouda.  Absoulutly nuts, this cheese had the best texture with the crystals and the silkyness of the milk.  We finished up with the Societe Roquefort, what a heavy duty cheese.  So funny you could see the mold grow as we let it come up to room temperature.  Great flavor for those who like the "bang you over the head" types of blue cheese.  I'm going to be putting parts of the presentation up on the site, just in case any of you want to learn more about assembling a cheese plate at a resturant or even at home.  Reg I think you'll love the presentation, I don't know if you'll be able to use it in your place but the knowledge is priceless.

DaggerDoggie

Re: Just attended an outstanding Cheese Presentation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:51:23 PM »
That sounds really fascinating and tasty.  I've never heard of half of those cheeses.  I wish my day at work was that good. ;D

Looking forward to at least seeing what they looked like.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »
Well Merlin that does sound like a lot of fun, much better than m day ;D.

Well sadly many of the cheeses you've named I've not heard of, I'll have to be more adventuresome. That triple cream sounds beautiful but would be the death of me. 3 year Gouda!!! I'm lucky if I don't start eating mine inside 1 month! Now I've heard about crystals in older high quality cheee and how it adds flavour but never tried it, I think they are these ones. Agree, most blue cheese is not subtle.

Thanks for the write up and would love to see more, FYI I suspect Reg is working tonight.

reg

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »
morning guys. Merlin would like to see that presentation for sure. i'm up to my butt in work right now but will have some time next week.

reg