Author Topic: John's Cheese #016 - Monterey Jack, Jalapeno Chili Flavored #1  (Read 9302 times)

Cheese Head

Today I start my first ever Monterey Jack cheese making using the recipe here. I don't have fresh chili but do have both jarred and dry jalapeno's, will use the dried ones (slightly reconstituted) as jarred ones are water sodden and think will not work well in cheese. Anyone disagree please say so now!!!! OK DD had a good point, my wife had to go to store, picked up a couple fresh jalepeno chilis.

JUN 20, 2008 MAKING
  • 3:00PM Poured 2 US gallon/7.6 liter of Homogenized Pasteurized Whole Cow's Milk into large saucepan and warmed to recommended temperature.
  • 4:00PM Added 8 homemade mesophilic starter culture ice cubes, covered and set aside to let culture ripen.
  • 4:45PM Added diluted rennet in 1/3 cup water and salt and stirred in thoroughly with whisk for 1 minute. Covered, set aside to let curd set.
  • 5:45PM Checked curd for clean break, not good.
  • 7:00PM Checked curd for clean break, not great, cut curds.
  • 7:15PM Started warming cycle.
  • 7:45PM End warming cycle.
  • 8:15PM Decanted whey.
  • 8:30PM Placed curds and remaining whey in cotton cheesecloth lined colander, mixed in diced jalapeno chili's and salt.
  • 8:45PM Placed in nylon fine cheesecloth lined 6" diameter mold, started pressing with light weight (1.5 liter wine bottle).
  • 9:45PM Removed, turned cheese, started light weight pressing.
  • 10:45PM Started heavy pressing in cheese cart/press using five 12 packs soda pop and shelf ~ 50 lb/23 kg.

JUN 21, 2008 MAKING
  • 6:30AM Removed cheese from press, very pretty, cut off small ring of curd that was extruded in press around follower. Placed in plastic humidity control plastic box in household very cold fridge for drying phase.
  • 4:30AM Turned cheese after 10 hours drying, picked up imprint of bamboo mat strips and thread lines.

AFFINAGE
  • June 29, 2008 8 days aging, worried that water from cheese inside plastic vacuum plastic bags like Gouda's, removed from bag, moist but no free water, returned to bag and re-vacuum sealed.
  • July 3, 2008 12 days aging, very little water from cheese inside plastic vacuum plastic bags, removed from bag, cut and ate sample, soft and little crumbly, light flavor, some chili but not strong, chili's are still crunchy, yum. Placed in cheese cave to age further.

NOTES
  • Need to find better way to measure amount of very concentrated powdered rennet to ensure appropriate amount.
  • Made large follower slightly to small, need to make another.
  • Bottom of heavy pressed cheese was still damp with whey, need to drill more drain holes in bottom of hoop and need a route for whey to come out sideways beneath bottom.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:23:52 PM by Webmaster »

Cheese Head

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:12:17 PM by Cheese Head »

Cheese Head

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:35:58 PM by Cheese Head »

DaggerDoggie

Re: John's Cheese #016 - Monterey Jack, Jalapeno Chili Flavored #1
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »
You live in Texas and you can't get fresh chilies and jalapenos at the end of June?  I thought you guys grew that stuff year round down there.  I have to say I am somewhat disappointed.  Why live in all that heat without the advantage of fresh peppers year round? ;D

Ok, all kidding aside. 

That's a good question as what to do.  I would guess it depends on how wet or dry your curd it.  If it is somewhat wet, I am thinking the pepper flavor will meld out into the cheese more.  However, if it is dry, any moisture will be sucked into the peppers and create a void around them.  Then again, if you crush them small, it may work out great...sounds like a good experiment to me.

Slightly reconstituted sounds like a good plan.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
Awe shucks, U R right, my wife was going to grocery store so she picked me up a couple 3 in/7 cm long jalapeno's.

When I go to add these I need to remove seends and finely dice and ensure I don't touch my eye with fingers otherwise burn like crazy.

Next question, for my 2 US gallon batch of Monterey Jack, what is your guess on how much to use? I'm guessing either 1/2 of one or whole . . .

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:21:36 PM »
If it were me, and I know you are not, if I am going for flavor, I like it to jump out at me.  I would put in at least two.  You are going to get at least 2lbs of cheese out of that and you want to flavor to be throughout.  IMHO subtleties are for well-aged cheeses, old wines, and a hint of flavor in beer.  Jalapenos need to jump out and grab you. ;D

I know I'm from the north, but I love hot.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:27:19 PM »
Awe sugar, I asked my wife to buy me one (two were 17 cents total), and I had to post a picture of the two of them. Two it is then, good thing she didn't buy 4 :o.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »
Go for it. ;D

reg

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »
unfortunately jalapeno's would not be high on my list this morning. yesterday i did 500 stuffed jalapeno's for a fundraiser last night so needless to say ...

actually they are my favourite chili. i have some that are completely ripe (red) that have been seeded and veined and put away in my freezer. they are amazing CH. the different in flavour is 10 times what the green stage is.

be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your Jack cheese

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
John, that cheese came out great!

Cheese Head

John's Cheese #016 - Monterey Jack, Jalapeno Chili Flavored #1
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
So after 12 days aging I ate a piece, records above in OP, flavour is developing but not as strong as a Gouda. Interestingly, the chili pepper flavor has not permeated the cheese, but you do get little crunchy surprises 8). DD you were right with more peppers being better, next time I think I may try with 3.

I'm not trusting the vacuum bags as much with these lightly pressed and only couple days drying. This cheese has no rind and I have no wax, reg, you coat yours with olive oil right for long term aging? Two coats 1 day a part?

For next time, anyone have a good idea on how to get flavor more throughout the cheese?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:40:06 AM by Cheese Head »

reg

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 11:10:59 AM »
morning John. for more flavour throughout the cheese try cooking the split chilies in 1/2 cup water in a small covered pot for a few minutes. cool and dice reserving the liquid. add the liquid to the milk before the heating process then add the diced chilies when adding salt to the drained curd

for the rind what i did was to rub new oil on the exterior of the cheese after giving it a brine wash. that continued until a nice rind was developed then the cheese was vac packed

hope that helps some as all this is pretty new to me to :-)

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 11:47:06 AM »
Thanks reg, Happy Canada Day on July 1 BTW ;D.

Your ideas for adding chili's flavour throughout the cheese are good, in stores here I often see a Chipotle flavoured Cheddar Cheese, which I think is a dried red peppar, which should work much better with that than with my fresh green Jalopeno peppers. So I'll probably try that next time.

Thanks for your thought on oiling.